Thoughts on my $1850 PC build

4770 was replaced by the 4790 (Better thermal material)

And please get a K it will be worth it! With a build like that, you just have to get a unlocked CPU. I know it will stretch your budget but it will be worth it.

4790k is the way to go

And also do you need all those fans? I mean you are water cooling your CPU, If you were not then those fans would be good for exhausting the heat from your case, but even in that max fans I would get is 5 or 6 (Not counting CPU/GPU cooling)

Uh, you do realize you have two coolers in there right? And that's WITHOUT a k series CPU? (holy crap I didn't even notice). That's insane! You only need aftermarket cooling if you're overclocking! Also, what's with the case fans? Get the case that has the fans you want stock. It keeps you from wasting your money, same with that thermal paste. Also, there's almost never a reason to get Windows Pro versus the regular version, and why 7? 8 is better in every practical way. Only the UI is different, and different isn't bad, just different. The WD Black drive could easily be swapped for a larger 3TB Seagate Barracuda drive with the same performance specs and yet still costs less. You're paying a SHITLOAD for that motherboard. You really don't need something like that unless you do OC competitions, nitrogen cooling, and the like. You'll never make use of its featureset. You can make do with a $125 Mobo.

I don't know. It really just looks like you're going for flashy parts rather than sticking to price to performance. You could get a better system if you did. Is this strictly for gaming? If so, then an i5-4690k with dual GTX 970s in SLI would be the way to go and cheaper than this. Is this for productivity? You could do an x99 build for this cash and still hit good performance. Really, it just seems like you're spending lots of money on aesthetics and personal preference. If you're fine with that, then that's okay, but really this is more like a $1300 build with $500 in bling, rather than an $1800 build.

Pretty standard stuff, some may question the lack of an unlocked processor but I can see your logic. Plus your using a close looped watercooler; seems worth to just dish out the extra cash for 4770k of 4790k

If your goal is simply gaming, this will perform better and cost less. The extra multi-threaded performance of an i7 will never come into play during gaming. It only matters in more CPU intensive stuff like productivity tasks. The i5 is more than sufficient, and with the money saved on the CPU, you can put it towards parts that actually matter when gaming like the GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($101.98 @ Directron)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($98.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1620.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-27 22:57 EST-0500

If your goal is more than gaming and you do some heavy productivity, then this is the build I'd recommend:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($117.27 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($217.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($90.26 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1682.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-27 22:55 EST-0500

It's still underbudget, and still performs better than your original build in every area. You could throw in a second GTX 970 for similar gaming performance as the first build in this post, but that goes overbudget. The potential is still there. Again, this CPU is completely unnecessary for gaming, but for productivity tasks it's a monster.

Either go with an unlocked cpu, one of the 2 liquid cpu coolers you picked, and that board if you want to overclock or a locked cpu, and air cpu cooler, and an h series board

Thats is a big ssd and i have no idea what you would need that for.. but if you insist its necessary i guess lol but thats a big dump of money

get windows 8.1 or wait until 10 comes out

and also you could go as low as a 600w psu and be fine

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

If your goal is simply gaming, this will perform better and cost less:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($101.98 @ Directron)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($118.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($121.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1620.13

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-27 22:57 EST-0500

-snip-

^^^^ This is a nice build and it has 2 970's!!!

Either go with an unlocked cpu, one of the 2 liquid cpu coolers you picked, and that board if you want to overclock or a locked cpu, and air cpu cooler, and an h series board

Thats is a big ssd and i have no idea what you would need that for.. but if you insist its necessary i guess lol but thats a big dump of money

get windows 8.1 or wait until 10 comes out

and also you could go as low as a 600w psu and be fine

I intend to use that for games that are faster to run on SSD than HDD such as Skyrim or CSGO. The 2TB are for movies that fell off a truck and landed on the internet.

Oh, one other point I want to bring up:

If you get something with this insane level of hardware, I hope you're using a good monitor. an $1800 gaming rig hooked up to a standard 1080p 60hz panel is such a waste. You better at least have a 1440p IPS panel (if a single 970 build), 4k (if dual 970 build) or a 144hz panel (if you don't want to go IPS), otherwise all this horsepower is going to waste. It doesn't matter if your computer is putting out 200 fps if your monitor can only render 60. Your computer will just be spinning its wheels and wasting all those awesome components.

I intend to use that for games that are faster to run on SSD than HDD such as Skyrim or CSGO. The 2TB are for movies that fell off a truck and landed on the internet.

Wait, CS:GO? That performance isn't affected by an SSD at all. There's no loading points in that game except during map switches, and then it doesn't matter. Skyrim I'm not so sure about, but I'm pretty sure it handles that seamlessly by pre-loading behind the scenes anyway as well. It shouldn't matter, and even still a 240-256GB SSD is more than enough for your OS and whatever game or two you're currently playing. We're talking a few seconds when you first start the game and that's all. It has nothing to do with in-game performance.

Oh, one other point I want to bring up:

If you get something with this insane level of hardware, I hope you're using a good monitor. an $1800 gaming rig hooked up to a standard 1080p 60hz panel is such a waste. You better at least have a 1440p IPS panel (if a single 970 build), 4k (if dual 970 build) or a 144hz panel (if you don't want to go IPS), otherwise all this horsepower is going to waste. It doesn't matter if your computer is putting out 200 fps if your monitor can only render 60. Your computer will just be spinning its wheels and wasting all those awesome components.

Yes I'm using an asus pg278q from my uncle who just upgraded to a 4k monitor.

Yes I'm using an asus pg278q from my uncle who just upgraded to a 4k monitor.

Phew, that's a relief! I'd definitely go for my i5-4690k with dual 970s build then. You're going to need it to drive something like that display. 1440p @ 144hz is very demanding.

Phew, that's a relief! I'd definitely go for my i5-4690k with dual 970s build then. You're going to need it to drive something like that display. 1440p @ 144hz is very demanding.

Alright thank you :D