Razer Blade Pro

I was wondering if the Razer Blade Pro would be good for a workstation laptop. I don't want to get a desktop cause i plan on travelling alot.

Noobie programer. :)

Honestly for that price I would get a Mac. But I don't know what os you like, blade is a beautiful pc

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

For a workstation (I assume video editing etc) you'd be better off with a laptop fitted with a quadro.

Honestly for that price I would get a Mac. But I don't know what os you like, blade is a beautiful pc

27542958.jpg

I still dont know the price but i would probably get one.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

For a workstation (I assume video editing etc) you'd be better off with a laptop fitted with a quadro.

27542958.jpg

Yes very it will probably be cheaper too

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

27542958.jpg

Lawl, I plan on doing some gaming aswell.

Yes very it will probably be cheaper too

Ya but 

A) you cant play any games

B)Its more powerful than a macbook

C)You dont look like a hipster with one

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

27542958.jpg

Lawl, I plan on doing some gaming aswell.

Ahh in that case why not the 14in? Same specs but smaller res mean less strain on gpu

Anyone who recommends a Mac around these parts will get this from me

3172713-upset-businessman-giving-middle-

Anyway, back on topic: Shattered, are you choosing the Razer Blade because it's thin & lightweight?

While i do like the Razer Blade (It's a beautiful laptop) I don't think the price is justified. Personally i'd highly recommend one of these instead http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=406

Anyone who recommends a Mac around these parts will get this from me

3172713-upset-businessman-giving-middle-

Anyway, back on topic: Shattered, are you choosing the Razer Blade because it's thin & lightweight?

While i do like the Razer Blade (It's a beautiful laptop) I don't think the price is justified. Personally i'd highly recommend one of these instead http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?cid=6&id=406

Lol why so much hate ? We are computer enthusiasts that's the same as intel vs amd. No fanboys .... Just saying

Because on a proper tech forum, i do believe that we're well-informed enough ourselves to know that there are a wide variety of laptops that give you much greater value for money than a Macintosh can.

Rather than recommending and spurring on a terrible purchase decision upon someone else i'd be much less flustered to see proper helpful advice being handed out.

On the more technical side of things, a Macbook would be a terrible device for both workstation and gaming use,(Maxed out model) it's 2800x1600res will make games unplayable on a pathetic GT 650m, furthermore, it lacks an SSD. If you replace the single drive bay available, you either 1) Get an expensive 512GB+ SSD that ends up pushing up it's price to around $4000, or 2) Use a 126/258GB SSD and lose 750GB of much needed storage for work related materials.

Please, don't give bad advice to other members without sufficient research.

@Shattered4k, if you do get the Razer Blade Pro just grab the 128GB variant and swap it out for either an SSD or a large drive, it will be much cheaper.

Lol why so much hate ? We are computer enthusiasts that's the same as intel vs amd. No fanboys .... Just saying

You're right we are enthusiasts.  As an enthusiast myself, I can tell you that a macbook is not a good option for him.  For that price he could get something worth much more for the money.  He needs a work station so I personally would recommend him something with a quadcore and a graphics card so he could potentially play games or render since it will be taking the place of a desktop. 

That being said, the razer blade pro has a haswell 4700HQ processor which is a quadcore that also features hyperthreading.  Not only that, but it has a gtx 765m which is a very solid gpu.  The thing weighs  6.5 pounds so that may be somewhat of a problem if you travel alot so consider that.  If I were you, I would run an external hard drive to store the rest of your data becuase 128 gigs is not that much, and I wouldnt spend a ton of money to get the 512 gig version.

Because on a proper tech forum, i do believe that we're well-informed enough ourselves to know that there are a wide variety of laptops that give you much greater value for money than a Macintosh can.

Rather than recommending and spurring on a terrible purchase decision upon someone else i'd be much less flustered to see proper helpful advice being handed out.

On the more technical side of things, a Macbook would be a terrible device for both workstation and gaming use,(Maxed out model) it's 2800x1600res will make games unplayable on a pathetic GT 650m, furthermore, it lacks an SSD. If you replace the single drive bay available, you either 1) Get an expensive 512GB+ SSD that ends up pushing up it's price to around $4000, or 2) Use a 126/258GB SSD and lose 750GB of much needed storage for work related materials.

Ok true about the mbpr but I was making a comparison on how razer is at that line with apple about price and as a true tech guy you would know how to upgrade a computer yourself and not pay double for an ssd. And I know that's not a gaming system but he did not point that out at first and that's why I had to ask about the os..... Because some people acually prefer the apple os because the some their workstation programs. As you said dont give advice to people without sufficient research

Ok true about the mbpr but I was making a comparison on how razer is at that line with apple about price and as a true tech guy you would know how to upgrade a computer yourself and not pay double for an ssd. And I know that's not a gaming system but he did not point that out at first and that's why I had to ask about the os..... Because some people acually prefer the apple os because the some their workstation programs. As you said dont give advice to people without sufficient research

With haste i direct you towards http://www.hackintosh.com/, as a true tech guy should.

And please, don't compare Razer with Apple, whilst both price their products within the realm of nobles, Razer's products carry some real hardware in them, Apple doesn't - and if you customize it to do so, prepare to fork out in excess of >$6000.

With haste i direct you towards http://www.hackintosh.com/, as a true tech guy should.

And please, don't compare Razer with Apple, whilst both price their products within the realm of nobles, Razer's products carry some real hardware in them, Apple doesn't - and if you customize it to do so, prepare to fork out in excess of >$6000.

man i agree with you, i wasnt fighting with you, I've built a mackintosh before. and the reason i compared the two is because the razer CEO said he loves their design and that was the inspiration for the new blade

Would be nice to have an actual discussion about this instead of saying fuck apple get this instead. Fan boys here. The dude is asking about a Razer edge pro. Someone suggested something else and your now nerd raging over this.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

@Shattered4k, if you do get the Razer Blade Pro just grab the 128GB variant and swap it out for either an SSD or a large drive, it will be much cheaper.

Planned on Swapping it out for a 512GB, or Dual 256 if thats possible. :P

I would buy the Razer blade if it looked the same, had a 1440p IPS pannel like the new notebooks at Computex and the Quadcore Iris 5200 SOC. Why? The Razer blade has some of the best build quality and looks out there and I don't need a 765m, I want performance, but still have battery life, and a good looking screen.

I would spend the money on upgrading / building a PC

NZXT Lexa S - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - AMD FX 8150 @ 4.2 Ghz - Corsair H70 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 Mhz 16 GBAsus GTX 970 4GB - Corsair CX 600 - Benq XL2420t - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - WD Live 3TB - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard - Razer Ouroboros Mouse - Steelseries QcK Sk Gaming Edition :wub: 

Shattered, while I personally would not purchase this, it does look like a very nice machine. Since you plan to travel, though, I would recommend the 14" model over the 17" model - the performance loss in CPU power is negligible, and the lower resolution isn't too large of a hit. It's also a quarter inch thinner and over two pounds lighter.

I would actually purchase an external hard drive for storage instead of swapping out the SSD, as I find 128GB is enough for almost all applications and your OS - in addition, 1TB external 2.5" hard drives are very cheap now.

In regards to the posts about the Macbook, please refer to the Code of Conduct specifically the Core Values and think before posting something that could be misconstrued as offensive.
"Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton