What are the best languages for computer science?

XDroidie626

My college taught OO principles in Java and once those principles were mastered [or at least learned] we went onto other languages like C, C++, Haskell, x86/Sparc Assembly & some markup languages. Personally if I were in your position I would learn a language that interested me and I'd follow the cirriculum as it came to me.

One issue I ran while in college occured during my Database class. I already had a good understanding of Oracle SQL, so when we started learning database concepts that started with relational algebra and tuple calculus I had issues relating to them because I already had an understanding of databases based strictly on SQL. Once we progressed the concepts started coming together, but I believe if I didn't know SQL then I wouldn't have had the problems relating to those new database concepts.

Well but as you say apart from the readability its pretty similar to assembly. 

If you have a thousand lines of code, being able to have labels and comments goes a long way. Machine code's like trying to write C with every variable and method having a 1 letter name and no comments.

If you have a thousand lines of code, being able to have labels and comments goes a long way. Machine code's like trying to write C with every variable and method having a 1 letter name and no comments.

I can't disagree with that.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd