GPU CARDS affecting render times/quality in video editing?

mckynetic

Hello all! Don't really know where to put this, but here it goes.

I'm saving up for a video editing rig (semi-professional use) and I've been getting a lot of suggestions... ESPECIALLY HIGH-END GPU cards which is sort of odd for me since most of the GPU's that they're suggesting is known for gaming. Because I'm curious and all and because I'm also a gamer (and I have also assembled a gaming rig myself) I tried to look-up for some benchmarks regarding video-rendering. But none of them really has a benchmark for such. But I do know that there's a GPU CARD that is optimized for workstation PC's but it's just too costly provided that I only have a workable budget to play around.

So my question is, does a GPU CARD that is more optimized for gaming affect render times/quality? If so, up to what extent and what are suggestible cards if I have a $100-200 budget for it?

The workstation grade GPU you're talking about are cards like the nVidia Quadros and so on. They are generally stupidly expensive for the general consumer. I've never tried a Quadro card myself, but nVidia have a wide array of models. For semi-professional use such cards are unecessary. The pricepoint is just too high to justify for a consumer. If you're not loaded with money that is. There are cheaper Quadro-cards yes, but at that level the Geforce-series of cards outperform then in most tasks. 

Otherwise nVidias Geforce-series of cards with CUDA-cores have for a couple of years been the go-to cards for consumers/semi-professionals within video editing, 3D-rendering and photowork. In pricipal the more CUDA-cores you have the more performance. I don't know all the programs that can use the CUDA-cores, but the Adobe suite of software suppport use of CUDA-cores. Premiere Pro and After Effects does benefit from the technology in my own experience where I've had the GTX570 and GTX670 and Premiere Pro CS6.

In the previous generation the GTX680 was considered as the best consumer GPU you could get for a workstation where it had the most CUDA-cores. Although the 670 and 660 does perform good as well. For all semi-professionals that are on a budget I reccomend the 660ti, as it perform well in gaming as well as video editing. 

Current build: Antec P180, Asus P8Z68 Pro, Intel i5-2500k, Asus GTX 570 2GB, Patriot 16GB 1600MHz, Corsair HX 650W.

New build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11270-video-editing-workstation-build/

Oh that's right. The CUDA cores. At a price stand point, I only have a budget of $200 maximum for a GPU card and none of them really fit the bill :D I mean I could have used my gaming PC for editing as well, but the fact that I bought an AMD card for the GPU, is it still usable? Or say that it still have those same effects that you've mentioned above? If it's not the case, then I'm really gonna consider just using the money to get me a GTX card if that's the case since I can sell the GPU card for it's only been used for 3 months.

By the way, the card is a 7970 in case you asked :)

OPENCL is for AMD like CUDA is for NVIDIA.

Program Dependant - So look for GPU accelerated video encoding.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz