Does it bottleneck?

Goussy
Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

Does a pentium G3258 bottleneck a R9 290 in this setup?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cGd4Jx

yes the pentium will bottleneck mid range and high end GPU,s by A LOT even if highly overclocked, here's a video i did with a GTX780,

the CPU was at 4.5ghz look at all that stuttering and low GPU loads:

I would suggest saving a bit more for at least a core i3, idealy a locked core i5 for such strong GPU's unless you play at higher resolution and aim for 30FPS...

also the pentium fail to even launch the most recent games like CoD:AW , far cry 4 and dragon age...i would have loved to test those games as well i think it would have been

even worst results but unfortunately i couldnt...

what is the song in this video, I am a fan :)

Nightwish

they have a ton of awesome songs check them out!

The band is no longer active but they've put out many awesome ablums check them out it's truly epic metal.

here some other great ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnHCc6uEYq4

Here's the full wishmaster album:

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

sure, here it is : These are prices NOT including Mail in rebates:PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($184.97 @ OutletPC)Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($77.98 @ Newegg)Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg)Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Newegg)Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($171.00 @ Newegg)Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ Micro Center)Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Amazon)Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Amazon)Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($90.26 @ OutletPC)Total: $758.16Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 12:55 EST-0500 This is what it will cost in the end if you do all the mail-in rebates forms: (i would suggest at least doing the 30$ on the GPU and 15$ for the case) PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchantCPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($184.97 @ OutletPC)Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($67.98 @ Newegg)Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg)Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.49 @ OutletPC)Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($141.00 @ Newegg)Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($21.99 @ Micro Center)Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.99 @ Amazon)Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Amazon)Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($90.26 @ OutletPC)Total: $701.66Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 12:56 EST-0500 This is a good, well balanced gaming rig for 1080pIf somehow you want to spend more money on it, i'd suggest bumping the GPU to the R9 290...an SSD would be a nice upgrade to consider for the future as well. You should also double check on the case if it includes both an intake AND an exaust fan in the box, i know it'sdescent quality from having build a budget rig for my dad in this case but i can't remember if it included both fansi think i had to put a cooler master 120 in it to intake fresh air...those cost like 9$ so if needed thro one in with your order.

I am jizzing on myself right now. I have a build that is pretty much overkill at 845. I have got the i5 4690k and the r9 290 with 7 games and I have saved 600 dollars. The budget that my friend had set a month ago was $500 and over the course of that time I was like MORE POWER. I owe my life to you, hopefully my friend agrees to buy them. Cannot thank you enough.

Stupid g3258

I am jizzing on myself right now. I have a build that is pretty much overkill at 845. I have got the i5 4690k and the r9 290 with 7 games and I have saved 600 dollars. The budget that my friend had set a month ago was $500 and over the course of that time I was like MORE POWER. I owe my life to you, hopefully my friend agrees to buy them. Cannot thank you enough.

Stupid g3258

Your are welcome!

if he really can't afford the i5 then i would suggest a slight downgrade to this, that would save you a bit, this is still a very capable gaming cpu but not as good as the i5

but still much better than an overclocked pentium:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($116.94 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.94 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $176.88

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 07:34 EST-0500

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

well...if you consider than an H97 motherboard will save you about 30$ over a Z97 board, the cpu will also be an average of about 35$ cheaper and the fact that you don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler for overclocking (again another 30$ or so...) it makes the cost of the entire H97 platform about 100$ cheaper maybe even more than that...

In fact, again if you consider those extra for Z97 and CPU cooler, one could get an H97 motherboard and an i7-4790K CPU

for about the same price as a Z97 + i5-4690K...considering the fact that the 4790K ships with a 4.4ghz boost clock (that you can lock on all 4 cores with an H97 board) it won't need overclocking...

it makes you think about why does people buy those overclocking ready i5 setups...cause an H97 and i7-4790K on stock cooler cost about the same but is better performance and is binned to run at 4.4ghz out of the box...

In short...the H97 and locked i5 give you the most performance per dollar, i you want to spend more you have two choices, the second one is best IMHO:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.92 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $320.90

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 15:52 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.98 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($61.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $361.97

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 15:53 EST-0500

EDIT: oh i see what you meant...i got you wrong i think you meant you won't save that much more going with an H81 or B85 board which is correct especialy if you consider all the features you don't get.

Yes, the edit was correct :P . Still thanks for the insight though, good point about going unlocked i7 with a non-overclocking mobo for better performance than an unlocked i5 and Z97 board.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Yes, the edit was correct :P . Still thanks for the insight though, good point about going unlocked i7 with a non-overclocking mobo for better performance than an unlocked i5 and Z97 board.

well...it only makes sense since intel launched this i7-4790K with a turbo of 4.4ghz...his very high clockspeed out of the box basicaly make overclocking un-needed...sure you could maybe get 4.6 or 4.7ghz out of the i5-4590K but a 4.4ghz core i7 will perform better including in the most recent demanding games that are now fully multi-threaded for the most part.

You can even bump the BCLK to 102 in BIOS of an H97 motherboard and get a constant 4488Mhz on all 8 threads.

Should I get a 212 Evo too didn't have it in the build right now, I was just wondering if I should do so

Should I get a 212 Evo too didn't have it in the build right now, I was just wondering if I should do so

not if you are going with a locked CPU, i would suggest you use the stock intel heatsink it's perfectly fine to use and will give very acceptable temps on a core i5 like that.

Those heatsinks will remain relatively quiet for a couple years provided you keep the machine well vented and clean enough...so maybe consider an aftermarket CPU cooler as an upgrade to add later on when more funds would be available...

not if you are going with a locked CPU, i would suggest you use the stock intel heatsink it's perfectly fine to use and will give very acceptable temps on a core i5 like that.Those coolers will remain relatively quiet for a couple years provided you keep the machine well vented and clean enough...so maybe consider an aftermarket CPU cooler as an upgrade to add lather when more funds would be available...

Yes I am going with the i5 4690k so I'll just stay with the stock cooler that comes with it

Yes I am going with the i5 4690k so I'll just stay with the stock cooler that comes with it

in that case you will most likely want to overclock the CPU so i would suggest an hyper 212...otherwise you'd have to keep the CPU at stock settings.

in that case you will most likely want to overclock the CPU so i would suggest an hyper 212...otherwise you'd have to keep the CPU at stock settings.

Alright that's fine

Edit: going to buy the parts tomorrow

So then what motherboard should I get?

What motherboard should I use?

What motherboard should I use?

if you are going to use only one graphics card i would suggest you look for the cheapest Z97 motherboard available something like asrock z97 anniversary or MSI Z97 PC mate would be perfect.

if you are going to use only one graphics card i would suggest you look for the cheapest Z97 motherboard available something like asrock z97 anniversary or MSI Z97 PC mate would be perfect.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h97mpro4

Got this one that you had

Edit: should It be a z97 does it matter?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h97mpro4

Got this one that you had

Edit: should It be a z97 does it matter?

if you want to overclock the ''K'' series processor that you plan on getting, you need a Z97 motheboard...the H97 motherboard won't offer overclocking for the most part...it makes the whole platform cost (CPU/Motherboard/CPU cooler) about 100$ more than say an H97 board and a core i5-4460 or core i5-4590...so if you are not looking into overclocking the CPU get H97 and i5-4590 and use the stock cooler...if you want overclocking get the Z97 motherboard with i5-4690K and hyper 212 cpu cooler...

Is there a big difference having it overclocked What would I get from it?

Is there a big difference having it overclocked What would I get from it?

a faster CPU will give you better performance in games ONLY in situations where you would actualy be ''cpu limited''...in other words, when your GPU is not maxed out.

As of now, most games when played on any core i5 haswell CPU will be GPU limited even with higher end graphics cards, so overclocking the CPU in most cases would be to no benefit.

But, in a year or two as the games will get more and more advanced they will require more cpu processing power (more GPU as well of course) and only then would overclocking the CPU give tangible benefit in games when paired with a new higher end GPU...so it's basicaly a little more ''future proof'' to go with an overclocking ready processor as it will be relevant to gaming a little longer. Same goes for a CPU that can handle more threads at once such as the core i7 for example.

a faster CPU will give you better performance in games ONLY in situations where you would actualy be ''cpu limited''...in other words, when your GPU is not maxed out.As of now, most games when played on any core i5 haswell CPU will be GPU limited even with higher end graphics cards, so overclocking the CPU in most cases would be to no benefit.But, in a year or two as the games will get more and more advanced they will require more cpu processing power (more GPU as well of course) and only then would overclocking the CPU give tangible benefit in games when paired with a new higher end GPU...so it's basicaly a little more ''future proof'' to go with an overclocking ready processor as it will be relevant to gaming a little longer. Same goes for a CPU that can handle more threads at once such as the core i7 for example.

Would there be any disadvantage if I went with a Gtx 760 or is the r9 290 better?

Would there be any disadvantage if I went with a Gtx 760 or is the r9 290 better?

They don't even belong in the same league, the R9 290 competes (and in many instance will beat) a GTX 780 which is a MUCH more powerful GPU...here's the benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1038

As you can see AMD is making you a big gift by providing such a beast at such a good price.

They don't even belong in the same league, the R9 290 competes (and in many instance will beat) a GTX 780 which is a MUCH more powerful GPU...here's the benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1038

As you can see AMD is making you a big gift by providing such a beast at such a good price.

The r9 290 tri-oc went off of sale on newegg and it was one of the best sellers, have to play the waiting game now

Edit: don't know if there waiting for Black Friday to put it on sale again, it hadn't gone out of stock