Suggestions for savings on this system?

skinbin
Go to solution Solved by Quest,

The motherboard is a tad spendy to pair with a 4690k.

If you want to keep the black and red, I would recommend this.

With that savings, you could perhaps drop a little bit more money on the rig and get a 980.

I've had my current pre-built system for around 3 years now and its time for an upgrade. I've decided to take the plunge, so to speak, and build my first system, and I've put this together over the last couple of days:

Case: Corsair Carbide 330R
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero
CPU: i5 4690k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB 1600Mhz
GPU: ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Strix
HDD/SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB (plus 2 TB of HDD that I already have)
PSU: Corsair RM650W

Problem is that its coming in around £1100, and while I dont have a specific budget is there anywhere I'm overspending and could save a bit? its going to be used for mainly moderate to semi-intense gaming with games like modded Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim, as well as Farcry 4 more recently.

Thanks

You wanna save money? Drop the Maximus for something cheaper ROG stuff is generally pretty overpriced 

With that savings, you could perhaps drop a little bit more money on the rig and get a 980.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

I imagined that that changing motherboard would have been the recommendation, but I dont know the first thing when it comes to them so. Anyway thanks for the suggestion though, Quest! Is the Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3 another decent choice? Regarding the GPU, the 980 Strix is almost £250 more expensive for some reason so I'll just stick with the 970, its infinity better than my current 560Ti anyway ahah

The R9 290 cards are pretty good value. The Powercolor is a very good card for £219.59

If you get the Superflower psu and Phanteks case from Overclockers then you can get free delivery if you are mainland UK

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£167.50 @ Amazon UK) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK EREBOSS BLACK 56.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£35.97 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER Z97 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£117.89 @ Amazon UK) 

Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  (£62.99 @ CCL Computers) 

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£75.54 @ Aria PC) 

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  (£219.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  (£88.33 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£72.35 @ Aria PC) 

Total: £920.12

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-22 13:12 GMT+0000

Change the motherboard unless you reallly want it. You can save a lot there IMO.

I've had my current pre-built system for around 3 years now and its time for an upgrade. I've decided to take the plunge, so to speak, and build my first system, and I've put this together over the last couple of days:

Case: Corsair Carbide 330R
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero
CPU: i5 4690k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB 1600Mhz
GPU: ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Strix
HDD/SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB (plus 2 TB of HDD that I already have)
PSU: Corsair RM650W

Problem is that its coming in around £1100, and while I dont have a specific budget is there anywhere I'm overspending and could save a bit? its going to be used for mainly moderate to semi-intense gaming with games like modded Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim, as well as Farcry 4 more recently.

Thanks

I agree here. You could save $100 bucks on the mobo, and either invest more into a CPU or GPU. You could use that 100 towards a 4790k, or towards a 980, however the 980 will be a great deal more expensive, more than 100 more. Other than that, your build is looking pretty fancy!

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]