Windows 8, SATA 2 > SATA 3 after Installation, HEELPP!!!!!!

KOtech

Hello TechTips Forums!

My Build is finalized!

Up and running with a GTX 680 DirectCU ii TOP, Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD, 12GB DDR3 RAM, Intel i7 930 @2.9 Ghz(will overclock to 4.0Ghz), ASUS Rampage iii Extreme Motherboard

Using benchmark tools after a successful installation of Windows 8 Enterprise my Samsung 840 PRO SSD drive seemed not to behave as promised

only able to get 250 Mb/s READ & WRITE speeds out of the promised 530 read & 390 Write.

It soon came to mind that i had installed my OS using the SATA 2 port (3Gb/s), ASWELL as the "IDE" Storage Configruation in BIOS (NOT AHCI, as SSD's are supposed to use).

My Question:

How do i get my SSD to work using the SATA 3 port without having to reinstall everything ?

What i have done:

Using the "Shift-Click-Restart" option in Windows 8 i could easily bypass the "rag-edit-hack" and boot up in "Safe Mode" where as i in the bootup process simply may correct the first error, changing the IDE storage Config to AHCI. And simply boot back into windows.

Though this with my SSD plugged into the SATA 2 port.

Once i then try and plug the SSD into the SATA 3 port on my ASUS Rampage III Extreme Motherboard, i get the following screens:

"Marvell 88se91xx adapter - BIOS Version 1.0.0.1019,

PCIe x1 5.0Gbps

MODE: CPU IDE

Virutal Disk: No Virutal Disk!

Physical Disk

[iD] [Disk Name]

0 SATA Samsung SSD 840 PRO series 128 GB

Size 128gb

Speed

6Gb/s

Which goes over to:

"Reboot And Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and pres a key"

NOTE:

This ONLY happens when the Drive is plugged into the SATA 3 Port, everything runs smoothly using the SATA 2.

Had to do it once before.

Can't be bothered to type it out so I just stole this from someone:

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)

2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci

3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)

4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Pciide

5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)

6) Shut down

7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

Can confirm this method works.

During step 7 go to bios and change your boot disk order if you are changing the sata port on your mobo.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci

4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Pciide

6) Shut down

7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

During step 7 go to bios and change your boot disk order if you are changing the sata port on your mobo.

So the simple "shift-click-restart" in Windows 8 don't work on this matter :( ?

man i was in the same situation as you, my ssd was set IDE mode, what i did was just backup everying on an external hard drive, format it and make suire all my setting were correct AHCI on plugged into sata 3 slot and then lodded everything back on and it worked fine with no problams

BUT

after a while things got unstable, windows wouldnt boot correctly, random blue screens, i thought i was psu or mobo but turns out it was a few settings that were stuck on IDE mode that were acting up, i could find a soulution for it so i was fed up and just did a complete reinstall of windows and loded all my progames back from a hard drive

Moral of the story is if you mess up just WIPE AND INSTALL FRESH

sorry friend :(

man i was in the same situation as you, my ssd was set IDE mode, what i did was just backup everying on an external hard drive, format it and make suire all my setting were correct AHCI on plugged into sata 3 slot and then lodded everything back on and it worked fine with no problams

BUT

after a while things got unstable, windows wouldnt boot correctly, random blue screens, i thought i was psu or mobo but turns out it was a few settings that were stuck on IDE mode that were acting up, i could find a soulution for it so i was fed up and just did a complete reinstall of windows and loded all my progames back from a hard drive

Moral of the story is if you mess up just WIPE AND INSTALL FRESH

sorry friend :(

You're wrong. You have to edit the registry and it works fine.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

6) Shut down

No do what I told you. It works. Any easier way might mess something up. This is a fool proof method.

dam what a waste of 2 days banging my keybored in frustration lol

Update:

Finding "Msahci" Folder

Using Ghost's suggestion

Yes simply go to the registry and change the right values for AHCI mode like Ghost said before.

Then reboot and go in the bios.

There change the mode for the SATA3 port from IDE to AHCI.

After windows started download the "samsung magician" tool and do an "OS Optimization" as well as a "Performance Optimization"

Not working.

You did note that everything was plugged into the SATA 2 when installed, aswell as IDE?

Using the "easy way", SHIFT-CLICK-RESTART, i already changed to AHCI and successfully booted using the SATA 2.

Now using this method, i find that step 4 & 5 is already made.

anyhow i shutdown the computer, plugged out the power cord & changed the sata cable from SATA 2 to SATA 3 then powered on.

Made sure AHCI was set, still nothing.

"Reboot And Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and pres a key"

Best Regards

- K

The SSD does NOT show up in "AHCI Config", although my other 2 drives does.

My Current BIOS settings:

"MAIN"

- In Storage Config

Config SATA as [AHCI]

Write Protect [Disabled]

IDE Detect Time Out (sec) [35]

- In AHCI Config

SATA Port 1 [Not Detected]

SATA Port 2 [Not Detected

SATA Port 3 [Hard Disk]

SATA Port 4 Hard Disk]

SATA Port 5 [Not Detected]

SATA Port 6 [Not Detected]

"ADVANCED"

- In "Onboard Devices Config"

Onboard 1394 Controller [Enabled]

Onboard SATA6G Controller [AHCI Mode]

"BOOT"

- In "Boot Device Priority"

1st Boot Device [iDE:SO Samsung SSD]

2st Boot Device [Removable Dev]

3st Boot Device [ATAPI CD-ROM]

- In "Hard Disk Drives"

1st Drive [iDE:SO Samsung SSD]

2st Drive [HDD:P1(SERIAL)]

3st Drive [HDD:P0(SERIAL)]

Anything useful?

I found some more info for you:

There is the StartOverride tree in storahci. That value needs to be changed to 0. After restarting it should work.

You can also delete the whole StartOverride block. Note that if you don't switch to AHCI on the very next boot, the system will create a new StartOverride value (of 3) and you'll have to repeat the process.

EDIT: In fact heres a link to a full tutorial: http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-ena...-installation/

man i was in the same situation as you' date=' my ssd was set IDE mode, what i did was just backup everying on an external hard drive, format it and make suire all my setting were correct AHCI on plugged into sata 3 slot and then lodded everything back on and it worked fine with no problams BUT after a while things got unstable, windows wouldnt boot correctly, random blue screens, i thought i was psu or mobo but turns out it was a few settings that were stuck on IDE mode that were acting up, i could find a soulution for it so i was fed up and just did a complete reinstall of windows and loded all my progames back from a hard drive Moral of the story is if you mess up just WIPE AND INSTALL FRESH sorry friend :( [/quote']

Wiped the SSD, and re-installed.