Help picking a new Router w/ AP

xia0kai

Hi All

I bought a Netgear D6300 WiFi router around 2 years ago for £160.

I been using it for 2 years but I have been very unhappy with it. I was unhappy with the WiFi performance as i felt it was unbelievably poor, the USB network storage did not work for me. And i was unhappy about the firmware and GUI. The only thing i liked about it was i could do USB over WiFi. I attached my Printer to the router via USB (i do not have a network printer) and the Netgear software would emulate the USB from the router to the PC. I loved that.

It just felt like a waste of money.

I need a new router with WiFi or a router with add on AP. I prefer build in to make things easy, but i would not sacrifice performance for it.

My priority is performance over features. However I would like to see if i can get one with USB over WiFi, but this is not a priority.

I also would like it if it was easy to hack with 3rd party firmware if required, eg DD WRT, Tomato. again this is a benefit i would like but it is not a priority, especially if the stock GUI is easy to use.

My usage is at a Home/Home Office.

2 PCs via LAN

1 NAS via LAN also used for streaming media

10 to 12 tablets/smartphones/notebooks via WLAN

3 Media streaming devices for entertainment via WLAN

Note: I have a lot of walls in the house to get through.

Is there anything you guys could suggest?

Thanks in advance.

T-Mobile has the Asus RT AC68U for $100, or free for their customers. It is a very good router and I doubt you will find something better for the price. You can also buy multiple routers and increase your range. 

Edit: I have 2 of them setup and I have full coverage all over my house. 

T-Mobile has the Asus RT AC68U for $100, or free for their customers. It is a very good router and I doubt you will find something better for the price. You can also buy multiple routers and increase your range. 

Edit: I have 2 of them setup and I have full coverage all over my house. 

What about Netgear R7000 (nighthawk) vs Asus RT AC68U

I HATE the firmware on Netgear.

but i heart DD WRT is possible on both of these routers.