Did I short out a computer?

UselessBread

Yesterday I was in a dark room doing physics. We were looking at dynamic diffusion, and I needed to save a file to my thumb drive. So I went ahead and tried plugging it in to one of the USB Hubs. suddenly the computer turned off. After further inspection I found out that the hub didn't have a plastic thingy in the middle, and that I might have shorted the pins in my futile attempt to plug my drive in.

So is it possible to crash a computer by shorting out a USB port?

My sister did this a long time ago and it just shorted out the USB ports, your pc should still work fine asside from the USB ports. Worst case is you should get a USB PCI-e card to connect your usb cables to if your usb ports don't work anymore

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I suppose anything is possible, though highly unlikely. 

My sister did this a long time ago and it just shorted out the USB ports, your pc should still work fine asside from the USB ports. Worst case is you should get a USB PCI-e card to connect your usb cables to if your usb ports don't work anymore

Wasn't my computer, was the physics guys' one. ended up working fine afterwards.

Wasn't my computer, was the physics guys' one. ended up working fine afterwards.

then you should be fine. Did the USB ports still work?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I did this by sticking a key into a usb socket. It just shorted it out. I id the USB thing a fair few years ago though. I also accidentally got a molex pin to short onto one of the pci slot covers in my Define R4. The pc just turned off and all is fine now. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Yesterday I was in a dark room doing physics. We were looking at dynamic diffusion, and I needed to save a file to my thumb drive. So I went ahead and tried plugging it in to one of the USB Hubs. suddenly the computer turned off. After further inspection I found out that the hub didn't have a plastic thingy in the middle, and that I might have shorted the pins in my futile attempt to plug my drive in.

So is it possible to crash a computer by shorting out a USB port?

What a way to start a story. " I was in a dark room doing physics...". lol Who is this evil genius, mwaahaahaa!!!

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

then you should be fine. Did the USB ports still work?

I don't know if the hub worked. I plugged my drive into a different port and that one worked. Hope the hub still works, and I wont have to pay a fee. lol.