What Should I Get?

Adorza

What are you posting about?

I need help/opinions building my first computer. I don't know a

whole lot so all input would be appreciated.

What do you want it to do?

I want to be able to 4k game, play most games at high settings,

I do NOT want to overclock, and I want the ability to graphic design

or video edit. I also would like this build to last me awhile without

having to upgrade much.

What's your budget?

I'd like to stick around 2k but I am flexible if it's really worth it.

What do you have so far?

So here is my build I've been pretty much changing every other day.

I don't know a whole lot about different parts and funcionality, so I'm

pretty much just going off videos, other builds and listening to pcpartpicker

if it tells me my parts won't work. So if this build seems silly, I'm sorry.

https://pcpartpicker...za/saved/HpgCmG

Thanks!

-Adorza :wub:

I would highly suggest SLI'ing two 980s for 4K for best performance.

Other than that it looks good!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Seems really high-end, maybe a quieter cooler for that cpu.

If you really need the performance but you need to stay at 2k, I would suggest to sli two gtx 970's for max performance per dollar.

I would highly suggest SLI'ing two 980s for 4K for best performance.

Other than that it looks good!

Yeah I figured I'd start off with one and eventually get two if I felt I needed it. Thanks so much!

@Adorza

Ultra 4k is still not entirely feasible on a single card, and at high frame rates.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sfZbcf
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sfZbcf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($389.99 @ Newegg) <-- More than enough for what you do and will last you a long, long time.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ Newegg) <-- You're going to need some performance cooling even if you don't OC.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($198.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) <-- Don't pay more than is necessary for high end storage.
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.98 @ OutletPC) <-- Don't pay more than is necessary for high end storage.
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Core Edition Video Card  ($769.99 @ Newegg) <-- Best "single" GPU right now.
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) <-- Amazing case, best $100 case on the market by far.
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ NCIX US) <-- Much better PSU than the RM series.  Even a 750W version will work.
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) <-- Get Windows 8.
Total: $2085.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-19 09:17 EST-0500

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Adorza

Ultra 4k is still not entirely feasible on a single card, and at high frame rates.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sfZbcf

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sfZbcf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($389.99 @ Newegg) <-- More than enough for what you do and will last you a long, long time.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ Newegg) <-- You're going to need some performance cooling even if you don't OC.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($198.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($199.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) <-- Don't pay more than is necessary for high end storage.

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($79.98 @ OutletPC) <-- Don't pay more than is necessary for high end storage.

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 295X2 8GB Core Edition Video Card  ($769.99 @ Newegg) <-- Best "single" GPU right now.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) <-- Amazing case, best $100 case on the market by far.

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ NCIX US) <-- Much better PSU than the RM series.  Even a 750W version will work.

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($16.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) <-- Get Windows 8.

Total: $2085.87

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-19 09:17 EST-0500

This is exactly what I needed. I just have one question... If I was eventually planning to get two 980's should I do that or would it be better to stick to the single XFX Radeon R9?

This is exactly what I needed. I just have one question... If I was eventually planning to get two 980's should I do that or would it be better to stick to the single XFX Radeon R9?

If planning to eventually get 2 980s then I would suggest getting one to start with, that way you don't end up with an r9 295x2 laying around without much use.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm actually not sure to be honest.  Need to check some gaming benchmarks comparing 2x 980s to a 295X2.  Both should provide very similar performance.  The 295X2 is going to be about $300 less expensive, and come pre-water cooled, so keep that in mind.

Here is the first benchmark webpage I looked at.  Unfortunately it only shows 1440p...  But 2x 980s seems to be winning easily over a 295X2, but this is the wrong resolution to be testing, and AMD tends to scale much better at higher resolutions, so take these numbers with a massive grain of salt.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_980_sli_review,17.html

Here are some actual Ultra 4k benchmarks, but it only compares a single 980 vs. R9 295X2.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,23.html

Ok, here are some good Ultra 4k Benchmarks.  The only caveat is that they don't have an R9 295X2, but you could look at the R9 290X results and multiply that fps by 1.8 to get a rough idea of R9 295X2 performance.  From what I can tell looking at the first few games tested, SLI 980s and R9 295X2 is performing very similar going off the 1.8x 290X fps results.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5623/3/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-sli--3-way-sli--4-way-sli-review-benchmarks-battlefield-4

Compare those to the actual R9 295X2 review, and the numbers are within 2-5fps, so the 1.8x of R9 290X results seems to work.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_295x2_review,18.html

Lastly, if you are willing to be patient, you could wait for the rumored 980Ti which is supposed to be quite more potent than a 980.  Also, the new AMD 300 series is launching in Q1 or Q2, and AMD seems to always put on a good showing for higher resolutions.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

16gb of ram, some form of an i7, dual gtx 980s and with that, you'll be able to run Far Cry 4, not even on 4k mind you, on a whopping 100fps. That's fucking sad.

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10|