NAS OS

Erfurt

Hey guys

So I want to build my own NAS, and I pretty much know what hardware I want for it. And now I have to look for a OS. I have been looking at FreeNAS, but I don't really know about it. I would like to be able to expand existing raids, for when I need more storage space. It should be fairly easy to setup, and should be either free or a 'cheap' OS. Anyone know about a good one I should look at? FreeNAS would have been my choice but two things are against it really, the amount of RAM needed, and that I'm not able to expand existing raids. I don't care what the OS is based on, Linux, BSD or what ever, I'll manage it, as long as it's fairly easy to setup :P

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

I like ubuntu server. It is fairly easy to get set up and uses little ram in comparison to freenas.

Well, I have been thinking about it, but does work well as a NAS?

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

Well, I have been thinking about it, but does work well as a NAS?

Yes. I run mine and while it can take so time to get set up it works quite well. 

You could install FreeNAS with UFS.

Getting rid of zfs would get rid of the RAM requirement and you could use a less fiddly RAID version.

Yes. I run mine and while it can take so time to get set up it works quite well. 

Okay, I will look more into it then

You could install FreeNAS with UFS.

Getting rid of zfs would get rid of the RAM requirement and you could use a less fiddly RAID version.

This sounds a bit complicated, I might be wrong. But What do you mean by less fiddly RAID version? I was thinking about using RAID 5, but from what I can research, FreeNAS can't expand RAIDs no matter what version you use, again I might be wrong about this.

Okay, I will look more into it then

This sounds a bit complicated, I might be wrong. But What do you mean by less fiddly RAID version? I was thinking about using RAID 5, but from what I can research, FreeNAS can't expand RAIDs no matter what version you use, again I might be wrong about this.

Yeah, it can do a ton so you do have to spend a little time learning it but there are good guides everywhere. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hFw1YnH9s-1Y9M4VPLgPOOjm1iH6PJOHefg5NhGC4oA/edit?pli=1

I was thinking about using RAID 5, but from what I can research, FreeNAS can't expand RAIDs no matter what version you use

Now I too could be wrong, but from what I understand it's the version of RAID zfs uses (RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2) that gets in the way of growing the RAID.

RAID1 4 5 and 6 can be grown with a single Linux command, which  I don't see why FreeNAS shouldn't be able to run.

Yeah, it can do a ton so you do have to spend a little time learning it but there are good guides everywhere. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hFw1YnH9s-1Y9M4VPLgPOOjm1iH6PJOHefg5NhGC4oA/edit?pli=1

Sweet, thanks alot, will play around with it once I have a computer ready :)

Now I too could be wrong, but from what I understand it's the version of RAID zfs uses (RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2) that gets in the way of growing the RAID.

RAID1 4 5 and 6 can be grown with a single Linux command, which  I don't see why FreeNAS shouldn't be able to run.

True, was always what I was thinking, but I don't know