What do I do after swapping GPUs?

Fgtfv567

Ok, so after extensive talking and research on this thread here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/250335-new-gpu-in-alienware-x51/page-2#entry3469738

I've decided that I will buy a GTX 970 non-OC reference EVGA card. I'm going to follow these videos to switch out the card

After I swap out the cards, what do I need to do? I assume I need to go into GeForce Experience and check for new drivers. My question is will the drivers from my old 660 conflict with the new card? Or will the 970 ignore the 660 drivers and boot into windows until I get the new drivers?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

The driver is identical, it will recognize the card and configure itself. It might still be a good idea to uninstall it and do a clean install though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Ok, so after extensive talking and research on this thread here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/250335-new-gpu-in-alienware-x51/page-2#entry3469738

I've decided that I will buy a GTX 970 non-OC reference EVGA card. I'm going to follow these videos to switch out the card

After I swap out the cards, what do I need to do? I assume I need to go into GeForce Experience and check for new drivers. My question is will the drivers from my old 660 conflict with the new card? Or will the 970 ignore the 660 drivers and boot into windows until I get the new drivers?

The drivers are all the same, I swapped my GT640 for a 760 SC. :L

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

ok but what if I have a friend who wants to switch GPUs from nvidia to AMD and vice versa?

Edit: this friend is as fictional as a toy unicorn farting rainbows that kill, I'm just asking out of curiosity and if I need to do it in the future

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

ok but what if I have a friend who wants to switch GPUs from nvidia to AMD and vice versa?

Delete all the current drivers and reinstall new ones.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

tell him to try installing the new drivers, then uninstalling the old ones (order you do this shouldnt matter) while still on the old card, then switch the cards.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Delete all the current drivers and reinstall new ones.

but will I be able to boot into windows without GPU drivers or with the wrong drivers? 

but will I be able to boot into windows without GPU drivers or with the wrong drivers? 

yup, it will just not recognise the driver if anything. But it will automagically work anyways if you have a Geforce Driver now. 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!