SSHDs - are they worth it?

Speedbird
Go to solution Solved by EmeraldFlame,

Typically, I would say no, because the combination of a dedicated SSD and HDD are always better, and typically isn't all that much more nowadays.

However, for your situation in a laptop (that I am assuming only has 1 bay) I would say yes it totally is. You should see significantly improved speeds from the SSHD, without the much larger cost of pure SSD storage.

Hi

So I'm really getting tired of my laptop's hard drive. At first I thought about replacing it with a Crucial MX100 SSD, but I need at least 500GB and they all are quite expensive. So I thought about getting a hybrid drive. I've heard good things about them, so are they worth it? Should I get one?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

SSHDs are faster than a normal HDD, the only reason i would get one is putting one in my craptop because of limited space.

Laptop? I'd stick to SSD simply due to the shock resistance.

Why do you need 500gb? That's rather large for a laptop. If you have a laptop bag, it might be best to get a 256 GB MX100 and a small form factor USB HDD that you carry in the bag.

Laptop? I'd stick to SSD simply due to the shock resistance.

Why do you need 500gb? That's rather large for a laptop. If you have a laptop bag, it might be best to get a 256 GB MX100 and a small external USB drive that you carry in the bag.

The thing is I don't have a laptop bag. And I need 500GB because I install a lot of software in there.

Typically, I would say no, because the combination of a dedicated SSD and HDD are always better, and typically isn't all that much more nowadays.

However, for your situation in a laptop (that I am assuming only has 1 bay) I would say yes it totally is. You should see significantly improved speeds from the SSHD, without the much larger cost of pure SSD storage.

I would say yes if you want the speed of an SSD but also want a lot of data without it being too expensive. The SSD part will make applications and start up faster and the HDD will store bigger files like games.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

OK, so I 'll get a Seagate drive in about 2 weeks. Thanks.

Hi

So I'm really getting tired of my laptop's hard drive. At first I thought about replacing it with a Crucial MX100 SSD, but I need at least 500GB and they all are quite expensive. So I thought about getting a hybrid drive. I've heard good things about them, so are they worth it? Should I get one?

I got one its awesome. no issues so go ahead

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe