USB drive only works on other computers

DuncanMT

Recently my USB drive just stopped showing up on my PC at all, after some testing it appears it works on all other PCs BUT mine.   The only way it is even visible on my PC is in the device manager where it come up as  mass storage device under other.  It does not show up in disk management and does not get picked up by common disk restore tools.  I have gotten the information off of it by uploading the contents to drop-box from another PC so I don't need to worry about loosing data, I just want a working USB drive back.  I have tried uninstalling the device from the device manager but upon connecting it just comes up with "mass storage device" again.  I have also formatted the drive while on another PC and still get the same results.  In conclusion, the error is on my PCs side and I have no idea what it could be.

post-85062-0-44436100-1416329182.png

Recently my USB drive just stopped showing up on my PC at all, after some testing it appears it works on all other PCs BUT mine.   The only way it is even visible on my PC is in the device manager where it come up as  mass storage device under other.  It does not show up in disk management and does not get picked up by common disk restore tools.  I have gotten the information off of it by uploading the contents to drop-box from another PC so I don't need to worry about loosing data, I just want a working USB drive back.  I have tried uninstalling the device from the device manager but upon connecting it just comes up with "mass storage device" again.  I have also formatted the drive while on another PC and still get the same results.  In conclusion, the error is on my PCs side and I have no idea what it could be.

Do you have some specs for us? Is it a laptop? I've had similar stuff happen on my laptop, especially on USB 3.0 devices.

PC Specs were on my profile:

CPU                Intel Core i5-3570K

Motherboard  Asus P8Z77-V LX

RAM               4X4GB Patriot Viper Memory

GPU               MSI GTX 670, Asus Strix 970

Case              Coolermaster Case

Storage          Samsung 840 Pro 128GB

PSU               OCZ 750W ZS series PSU

It is a USB 3.0 drive and I have tired all USB ports on my PC With the same result.

Hey,

There are a lot of possible solutions to your problem on this page;

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-device-not-recognized

Quick summary (detailed instructions -> follow weblink);

1. Restart the computer
  2. Disconnect all other USB devices and insert the one with problems
  3. In Device Manager, click Action -> Scan for hardware changes
  4. Right click the USB device and choose Update Driver 
  5. Double click the USB, go to USB Root Hub Properties and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power 
  6. Run thHardware and Device Troubleshooter or the Windows USB Troubleshooter
  7. Download and request a hotfix from KB2830154

Also a link for troubleshooting USB 3 connections (use this if the first set of instructions don't help)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-3-0-external-hard-drive-not-recognized

MVG

PiPi636

Tried most of that stuff, all I managed to achieve was turning off my USB keyboard and mouse.  The problem still persists.  When I try to install a driver for the device it says

"Windows was unable to install you Mass Storage Device

Windows could not find driver software for your device"

This is wrong, it found and installed the driver automatically on all other PC I tired it on.  Trying to install the driver is also the only thing the troubleshooter did and still failed.

I'm beginning to think I should just re-install windows, jeez I cant wait for the Linux revolution.

Just realized I cant re-install windows because my only USB does not work.