Installing Windows 7 on a Micro-SD card? (Is it possible)

Hey Guys!

Just got my Surface Pro 3 and I'm looking at dual booting another copy of windows from a Micro-SD card.. I was wondering if it was possible to do it? I looked around and some people say you can't... But they were articles from 2009 :') So who knows.. 

Thanks in advance!

How large is the SD Card?

Capsity not physical

Not sure yet.. I'm probably looking for 120ishGB is possible.. 

It will be larger enough to hold windows..

I think it's pretty much possible yes. Just need to figure out the software installation part, and probably some driver support problems.

I have seen people install Windows on flash drives so an SD card should be possible. Now, whether or not the Surface has the ability to boot from Micro-SD is another question. If you haven't already considered, perhaps it might be easier to partition your SSD to allow for the second installation of Windows and use the Micro-SD card for user files? 

I think it's pretty much possible yes. Just need to figure out the software installation part, and probably some driver support problems.

Yeah that is going to be the problem.. Because the verison of windows is pre-configured with other drivers and software..

I have seen people install Windows on flash drives so an SD card should be possible. Now, whether or not the Surface has the ability to boot from Micro-SD is another question. If you haven't already considered, perhaps it might be easier to partition your SSD to allow for the second installation of Windows and use the Micro-SD card for user files? 

Yeah that was going to be my second option.. Do you think the SD will limit performance? It's flash storage so it shouldn't right?

Yeah that is going to be the problem.. Because the verison of windows is pre-configured with other drivers and software..

Yeah that was going to be my second option.. Do you think the SD will limit performance? It's flash storage so it shouldn't right?

Not all flash storage is equal. The flash found in memory cards is a different grade and uses a different controller and bus than SATA based Solid State Disks do. The controller in the SD card and the bus on the SD media reader will be your bottlenecks.