Net nanny software for Android (recomendations)

soup

I know two things about Android devices (nowt and bugger-all). We are getting #2 son (20 but with learning difficulties) a tablet for christmas.  We want to block some specific sites (even categories of sites if the software has that option) on Windows we used K9 as net nanny software but not au fait with a suitable/well regarded app for an Android tablet.  After a quick look on the net Android seems severly lacking in any sort of parental control and all the NN software I could see was roundly castigated.  One case in point was "Safe Browser" it (seemed ) to crash a lot and when it did work wouldn't allow Flash so no YouTube (Playing YT is a must).  Has anyone used/heard of a good app/net nanny software for Android.  Oh it will be Android 4.4 KitKat

In fact any recomendations on "locking his tablet down" would be welcome.  Lots of PINs and passwords all over the place. :)

As I say he is 20 but has learning difficulties and is autistic so social sites are very much out (can't tell "banter" from genuine insult: Everyone he regards as his friend etc)I don't want him stumbling on these by accident.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

The kindle fire tablets also have a child mode that's baked into the OS, might take a peek at that too.

Seems there are two (free,easy) ways.  Modifying the hosts file [1].  And using OpenDNS (have blocked Facebook on this machine, as a bit of a practise, but the rest of the network can access it *result*).  Here's hoping (Sp?) son's tablet is as easy to change DNS etc as this (Windows7) machine.

[1] Requires  root access.  How easy/reversible is rooting an Android device (frightened I "brick" the device?  Strangely wouldn't care so much if it was mine but it will be son's, although I am paying for it .

"This too shall pass"

If the tablet is only going to be used in the house (or a solution for a desktop machine) could be to go into your router and block specific sites. The Linksys router I have has tons of parental controls that, if I had kids or needed to lock stuff down, makes it very easy.

If the tablet is only going to be used in the house (or a solution for a desktop machine) could be to go into your router and block specific sites. The Linksys router I have has tons of parental controls that, if I had kids or needed to lock stuff down, makes it very easy.

Thing is I do not want to block Facebook for everyone just #2 son (mind you there is only him and #1 son who would want to go on that site [indeed any social networking site])..  Blocking on the router would mean the whole network was blocked from using FB. (OpenDNS is sort of the same but I can poodle-fake the network to one IP on that network).

Also the router is propreitry (Virginmedia Superhub) and does not allow blocking of sites .

Thanks anyway, I am pretty much just thinking aloud, any actual proposition gets considered.

"This too shall pass"

Thing is I do not want to block Facebook for everyone just #2 son (mind you there is only him and #1 son who would want to go on that site [indeed any social networking site])..  Blocking on the router would mean the whole network was blocked from using FB. (OpenDNS is sort of the same but I can poodle-fake the network to one IP on that network).

Also the router is propreitry (Virginmedia Superhub) and does not allow blocking of sites .

Thanks anyway, I am pretty much just thinking aloud, any actual proposition gets considered.

I forgot to add that you can set the blocked sites per MAC address (unique to each device) but yeah, without having to buy a new router, you're kind of SOL that way..

I forgot to add that you can set the blocked sites per MAC address (unique to each device) but yeah, without having to buy a new router, you're kind of SOL that way..

If only I has a Linksys router, ah well.

When I first read about using a filter on the router heart skipped a beat then I thought what about #1 then I noticed you couldn't do that on the Superhub anyway, bummer.

"This too shall pass"