Thunderbolt 2 up to 20Gb/s

noname7931

If have heard they about the new mac pro it has the new Thunderbolt 2 that supports 20Gb/s, daisy-chain up to 36 devices, and you connect up to three 4K displays. Here is a AnandTech Article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7049/intel-thunderbolt-2-everything-you-need-to-know

I hope that motherboard company's with start supporting Thunderbolt 2 with the new Haswell chips.

Thunderbolt 1 actually supported 20Gb/s too, just with a different lane setup. Daisychaining 36 devices is an improvement though.

It's worth mentioning that in order to get Thunderbolt 2 onto the mac pro, they're going to have to replace the entire PCIe bus with soldered-on GPUs to make it work with LGA 2011. That's why all expansion is Thunderbolt only on the new mac pro.

Thunderbolt-equipped Socket 1150 motherboards have already been announced by ASrock (google Asrock Z87 Extreme9) and I would imagine also by other manufacturers too. I would assume these boards will be Thunderbolt 2 rather than 1, but even if not as I said before the only differences are a lack of 4K display support (a very niche market indeed) and a limit of 6 daisy-chained devices anyway.

Thank you for the information. very informative