Blank Screen After BIOS Update

Go to solution Solved by nanowatt,

Do you have any usb devices plugged in?

Hello,

First time builder here. I built my first PC maybe a month or two ago and I have updated my BIOS a while ago. I got a notification from MSI's app that installs with the mobo to let me know a new BIOS version came out. I used the app to install it, everything was OK, then it rebooted itself after install. Upon reboot, I got a blank screen with nothing but 9C at the bottom right corner for a second and then it freezes on a black screen with just A2 on the bottom right corner.

I am not sure what may have caused this, but kind of freaking out since all in all this build was pretty expensive, at least for me.

My mobo is an MSI Z97 Gaming 5. The rest of my computer specs are in my profile if that even matters.

I forced power off by holding the power button and turned it back on and the same screens appear, btw. I looked through the manual and I couldn't find the 9C or A2 codes listed (maybe I'm missing it or reading it wrong?)

Thanks for any help provided!

I have the same mobo. A2 means it booted OK, so I;m not sure why it displayed that, and all the POST codes are in the manual that came with the mobo. Can you get into the BIOS? 

Do you have any usb devices plugged in?

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Wow, you guys are awesome.

I unplugged all of my USB devices, rebooted, and everything worked fine.

I turned it off again and plugged in all of my USB devices (mouse, keyboard charging port, and external HDD) except one: USB cord to PS3 controller. Not sure if that was the culprit, but I don't need it in all the time, just when gaming. And everything booted up OK.

Thanks for everyone's quick help!

Just out of curiosity, why would USB peripherals affect my mobo freezing after a BIOS update? That just seems strange.

Wow, you guys are awesome.

I unplugged all of my USB devices, rebooted, and everything worked fine.

I turned it off again and plugged in all of my USB devices (mouse, keyboard charging port, and external HDD) except one: USB cord to PS3 controller. Not sure if that was the culprit, but I don't need it in all the time, just when gaming. And everything booted up OK.

Thanks for everyone's quick help!

Just out of curiosity, why would USB peripherals affect my mobo freezing after a BIOS update? That just seems strange.

Because of the bios update.Bios is the one that dictates components what to do and remember their id so to speak.Updating it means wiping the old settings and memory that beings said it may non recognize the usb post because they are unknown devices.Once you plug them in again it will take their id

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Because of the bios update.Bios is the one that dictates components what to do and remember their id so to speak.Updating it means wiping the old settings and memory that beings said it may non recognize the usb post because they are unknown devices.Once you plug them in again it will take their id

Oh, I knew BIOS controlled things like USB, but I didn't know having them plugged in during an update could mess up the process. Good to know for future reference.