Windows 8 CD code reusable?

Hey everyone,

I am looking at purchasing Windows 8 soon to replace Windows 7 because I feel it's a good upgrade after looking at reviews etc. Although, something I was wondering was if the CD key it comes with is reusable? With my Windows 7 code it only worked once and whenever I had to reactivate Windows from a fresh install I had to call Microsoft. My mate has Windows 7 too, and he reinstalls sometimes as well but his code has worked every time. 

So my question is, is the Windows 8 key reusable? And does anyone know why Windows 7 worked for my friend and not me?

Cheers :)

Unless I'm mistaken, both the 32-bit and 64-bit discs get 1 activation each, for a total of 2 activations per retail copy. Not sure if it's possible to de-activate an installation before re-installing it, which resets the above activation count.

The phone activation is a work-around, and it works for a fixed number of installs. I personally used it for 5 PCs (all running simultaneously, and 5 is what I'm aware of. There could be more >.>). I'm assuming Windows 8 works the same way. I haven't tried it yet.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Hey everyone,

I am looking at purchasing Windows 8 soon to replace Windows 7 because I feel it's a good upgrade after looking at reviews etc. Although, something I was wondering was if the CD key it comes with is reusable? With my Windows 7 code it only worked once and whenever I had to reactivate Windows from a fresh install I had to call Microsoft. My mate has Windows 7 too, and he reinstalls sometimes as well but his code has worked every time. 

So my question is, is the Windows 8 key reusable? And does anyone know why Windows 7 worked for my friend and not me?

Cheers :)

It's quite simple: 1 product key (or CD key) can be used at once.

So what it means is:

-> You can re-install any time you want, no problem, using that exact same key

-> If you change your computer, then you can install Windows on it, just fine, as long as you don't use your old system anymore, or get it's own license of Windows, or you get another OS (olde version of Windows for itself, or Linux or something else)

-> If the activation system of Windows detects 2 or more computers, it will deactivate the all Windows, except the last one that checks with the system. (it does several checks during a month period online... the last one detected will be considered valid.) The activation system doesn't go: "Oh this computer is newer and faster.. it must be the latest one..." No. If you have install Windows on your new computer (let's say), and you turn on your old computer that has Windows 8 with the same product key as the newer computer, and its on the the day it decide to check it's activation, it will activate that old computer, and deactivate your new computer, as the old computer is the last computer that checks its license),

So in order words: 1 product key per active computer at a time. As long as it's being used on 1 computer, you'll have no problem, and yes you can re-install Windows as many time as you like.

Hmmm thanks. I am still a bit curious as to why my code only worked once, and then I needed to ring up Microsoft after that. Thanks 

Hmmm thanks. I am still a bit curious as to why my code only worked once, and then I needed to ring up Microsoft after that. Thanks

Oh that. Well, it has an algorithm, were if you upgrade your system too much or you re-install Windows too close form the last install, a phone activation will be needed. It quick and simple to do. Don't worry, it will be activated just fine.

Ah ok. Last time I did it though some bloody Microsoft employee denied me of it because they wanted some reciept or evidence of purchase. Which I have no idea what they wanted. But thanks for your help, appreciate it :)

Ah ok. Last time I did it though some bloody Microsoft employee denied me of it because they wanted some reciept or evidence of purchase. Which I have no idea what they wanted. But thanks for your help, appreciate it :)

Well I don't know the hole story.. but if you got an OEM license, and transferred it to another computer, or upgraded your motherboard, that is why they ask... but a normal re-install they should not.