Quiet CPU cooling.

So, I am looking to build a relatively quiet gaming rig. Will (hopefully) have a gtx 780 windforce in it, and what I'm wanting advice on is the CPU cooler. Okay, bearing in mind I am going to be using an R4, and I am willing to stump up to replace any stock fans with noctua fans, should I go with air cooling, or mount a H100i in the top?

Also, will there be a heat problem do you think, if I only use the rear exhaust? 

I think you should go with a Noctua NH-D14 for great quiet but powerful air cooling. 

There shouldn't be a heat problem if you use gpu boost 2.0 correctly. The heat buildup will probably mostly be from the gpu.

If you go with the h100i, set the rear to intake for better cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

H100i would be best

I think you should go with a Noctua NH-D14 for great quiet but powerful air cooling. 

There shouldn't be a heat problem if you use gpu boost 2.0 correctly. The heat buildup will probably mostly be from the gpu.

If you go with the h100i, set the rear to intake for better cooling.

Lol, thanks guys, guess I'm going to be need a few more votes either way. :P

H100i with Noctua fans on low RPM. Or any decent aircooler with Noctua fans. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

you can buy any cooler you want, but if you slap a 3200rpm fans on them they wouldn't really be quiet :|

make sure you have enough head room in your budget for your fans, I've spent over 250 bucks just figuring out the perfect fans for me.

hope that helps :)

*edit*

forgot to mention, I settled for cougar vortex fans - I didn't even notice if they were on most of the time :)

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

If I were to use a H100i, would it make much of a difference to the CPU temp if I used it in exhaust, instead of intake?

If I were to use a H100i, would it make much of a difference to the CPU temp if I used it in exhaust, instead of intake?

Not really no. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I'd probably get an NH-D14, and then if that's not quiet enough, just undervolt the fans.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

The H100i fans are really loud so I wuold personally go with the Enermax ELC240-TB.

Closed loop liquid cooler, 240mm rad and has some Enermax TB Silencers on it so its quiet. I have one in my HTPC.

Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted

(Do not try to work the meaning out you will go insane I have tried it)

I would use noctuas in a heartbeat if they weren't colored like crap and vomit

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

I would use noctuas in a heartbeat if they weren't colored like crap and vomit

I could be wrong or they may be different types of fans but at Computex, Noctua had some black fans. I can't recall everything about then at the moment though.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

- Albert Einstein

I could be wrong or they may be different types of fans but at Computex, Noctua had some black fans. I can't recall everything about then at the moment though.

I think they were low range fans that haven't come out yet. But if i recall their top of the line products are still going to use the usual color scheme

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

I think they were low range fans that haven't come out yet. But if i recall their top of the line products are still going to use the usual color scheme

Oh cool, cheers, I wasn't sure

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

- Albert Einstein

The black fans from noctua are industrial fans that are made for performance and industries that could not care less about quiet fans

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360