10 month old 2TB WD Black drive clunking

My 10 month old 2TB WD black storage drive has been clunking for about two or three months now. Smart status says A-OK, and I've noticed absolutely no functionality loss, slow read/writes, or data loss/corruption. Should I get the data off and RMA ASAP or am I alright for now? I've never had an HDD fail on me, but common sense and common knowledge says pretty much any audible noise from an HDD is something to be concerned about. More info about the clunking: it's only when booting the machine or when it's reading or writing, which makes me think read/write head. It's a quick and repetitive sort of clunking, and it sends small vibrations through my case that I can feel if I put my hand on the side panel of my case where the HDD cage is. Thanks in advance for any help. :) 

Would you describe the clunking as regular or irregular (ie: when you use it more, they become more frequent or even audible)

Compatible with Windows 95

My 10 month old 2TB WD black storage drive has been clunking for about two or three months now. Smart status says A-OK, and I've noticed absolutely no functionality loss, slow read/writes, or data loss/corruption. Should I get the data off and RMA ASAP or am I alright for now? I've never had an HDD fail on me, but common sense and common knowledge says pretty much any audible noise from an HDD is something to be concerned about. More info about the clunking: it's only when booting the machine or when it's reading or writing, which makes me think read/write head. It's a quick and repetitive sort of clunking, and it sends small vibrations through my case that I can feel if I put my hand on the side panel of my case where the HDD cage is. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

I had same problem with Seagate 1TB after electricity issues and after a week or so it became worse and worse. When pc started lagging i bought WD black 500GB and its all ok :)

I recommend you to switch HDD.

edit: sound was about 5-6 clicks in 1 sec and happened randomly every ~10 mins

Hi there @powell_thom!

I think the best thing you can do is to back up your data from the hard drive, since it makes noises, and then run the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool. Here's a link to download the program:

Let me know how it went. :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

Would you describe the clunking as regular or irregular (ie: when you use it more, they become more frequent or even audible)

When the drive is reading or writing the sounds are quite audible, so yes they are irregular; they don't happen all the time.

When the drive is reading or writing the sounds are quite audible, so yes they are irregular; they don't happen all the time.

Yeah, the sound will get worse as the drive gets older, it's just fatigue. Not really an issue I'd consider an RMA for.

Compatible with Windows 95