Render Farm?

Tridanite

I've been looking into a render farm for well not rendering (haha) and as far as I've seen you should put a node together with very little power consumptions and as much power as that will allow especially for a home and so my question is what would that entail? I5s,I3s or APU's because both have fairly good onboard gpus and have low temps. What do you think and if you have a render farm tell me how it is going?

sorry for being such a sheldon cooper, but i cant undestand if you're being sarcastic or not. if it is indeed for rendering, than you probably should be looking into nodes with better CPUs and GPUs, specially for CGIs and what not (not really my area tbh). if it is not for rendering, than you should tell us what is it for so we can counsel you accordingly...

For rendering you would benefit largely from multi-threaded CPUs such as an i7 3770K, or something on the 2011 platform if you can afford it like a 3930K or 3970X. AMD tends to run hotter.

Get a UPS without a doubt.

Definitely don't use onboard graphics; if it's solely for rendering I'd say get a Quadro card, though they are very pricey. Otherwise, something like a HD 7950 couldn't hurt.

Using as little power as possible is good, but you will be sacrificing performance.

In work the Media Unit uses quadro 400 with intel i5 and it renders out ok, but they are rendering small projects.

• 1 year later...

I've been looking into a render farm for well not rendering (haha) and as far as I've seen you should put a node together with very little power consumptions and as much power as that will allow especially for a home and so my question is what would that entail? I5s,I3s or APU's because both have fairly good onboard gpus and have low temps. What do you think and if you have a render farm tell me how it is going?

You may as well use the Compute optimised Amazon instances. I use them regularly for transcoding 1080p and 4K video files and also for doing live streams of sport events. They are cheap and very easy to use. I really dont see the point in building a computer for this. You can get hundreds of hours on Amazons top tier instances for the price you would pay for a decent CPU.