Tech Face Palm

aidebob

So as you can tell I'm a very new to this forum, even though I've followed Linus Tech Tips for quite a while now, so I thought a good way to introduce myself was to share a humbling experience, and see if anyone else had some stories they would like to share. Sorry if I messed any thing up as far as making a new topic goes...

So I was playing Skyrim like any ordinary day on a y510p a moderate gaming laptop, now there's one flaw with it's immense power, if it's not plugged into the wall, it doesn't work correctly as in: it doesn't supply enough power to the GPUs to get a playable performance. As a result I was getting a frame drop every 10 seconds. So I being an idiot spent about 4 hours every day for 2 weeks trying to figure out what was wrong, I tried driver updates, rebooting the thing, uninstalling things from the hard drive,  running infinite virus scans, updating the BIOS, re-installing windows, and smashing my head into a pillow and screaming, until one day I tripped over the power chord while trouble shooting, and plugged it back in only to find it wasn't plugged in all the way, or something was obstructing the cable, I had wasted countless hours of my life for the same reason when you need to blow on a  N64 cartridge when your Mario Kart 64 doesn't work.

Do you guys have any other tech face palms?

Edited by aidebob

I don't even know how babies come from?

I was helping a friend with a build with my brother and another friend we spent about 1 hour trying to figure out why the pc wont boot up , turns out the powersupply cables werent plugged in correctly.

Setting up my gaming PC after moving house. Turned it on and it was getting about 5% of its usual gaming performance. It had a gtx 670 in it and it couldn't run worms at 30+ fps. I was terrified that something had broken during transit. I ended up doing about two weeks of research trying to find out what had gone wrong. One day I was checking the connections and realised I'd plugged the dvi-d cable into the motherboard istead of the graphics card. I face-palmed so hard.

my tech palm face would be that i once connected the molex power pin upside down on to hard rive , didn't fit , so i pushed it harder pins came into contact.. poof!  brown smoke! :/ fried the drives pcb

Details separate people.

Welcome, do hang around we don't bite. And that's a mistake that a number of people are likely to do as well, I probably would because sometimes common sense just goes out the window with me.

I've made tech fails before today, including spending ages trying to install W7 SP1 on my laptop by the windows updates tool, which kept failing. Until about a month or two ago, I completely forgot I could just download it off of the MS website, which I promptly did. Then spent the next week catching up on required updates. Serious tech fail on my behalf that.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim