Recommend Me Some Case Fans

EarthboundHero
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

So I found out the problem was my 3-pin on my mobo runs the fans at full speed no matter what. The Enthoo Pro stock fans are actually quiet if they're plugged into a PWM header, but they aren't PWM fans so that's weird.

4pin is backwards compatible with 3 or 2 pin. The fans are running slower because they are being controlled by lowered voltage instead of pwm. 

Hey guys, my fans are WAY too loud. I need to replace a 140MM in my main rig, because without it my rig is almost silent. With it though it's loud as hell. In my media server I have 2 120MM fans that need to be replaced because again they're loud. The 140MM needs to be PWM controlled, while the 120's can't be as I'm using an old mobo and the fan headers are right next to capacitors so a PWM won't fit. My budget is $20 for each fan so no Noctua's. I'm using Cougar PWM fans on my CPU cooler what do you guys think of these? Thanks guys.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Corsair's SP and AF series fans? Quiet edition

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

Are they all just case fans?

Corsair fans are not what the OP should be looking at if the goal is quiet.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I guess you could use some SickleFlows for the 120MM fan, their 8 bucks at the Fry's at Renton.

http://www.frys.com/product/6998817

Newegg reviews say they're loud.

Are they all just case fans? Corsair fans are not what the OP should be looking at if the goal is quiet.

What do you recommend?

Too expensive.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

What do you recommend?

Err.. are you using all of the fans as case fans? Where are you planning to put them?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Err.. are you using all of the fans as case fans? Where are you planning to put them?

All fans will be case fans. The 140 will be exhaust, one 120 will be intake and the other exhaust.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Newegg reviews say they're loud.

Well, i was in the same situation as you....need some new case fans but i decided to get AF120 over Sickleflows.....but Antec Truequiet 120 are quiet fans but they don't move a lot of air..

Or some Rosewill Hyperborea fans... 

Well, i was in the same situation as you....need some new case fans but i decided to get AF120 over Sickleflows.....but Antec Truequiet 120 are quiet fans but they don't move a lot of air..

Or some Rosewill Hyperborea fans... 

I just figured out that my 120's are quiet. Just one of them is running full speed because I'm using a molex converter. So if I get a 3-pin splitter it will be quieter. I just need a new 140 now.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

I just figured out that my 120's are quiet. Just one of them is running full speed because I'm using a molex converter. So if I get a 3-pin splitter it will be quieter. I just need a new 140 now.

or a 3 pin voltage step down converter...Corsair includes these with their fans.

or a 3 pin voltage step down converter...Corsair includes these with their fans.

I think it'd be cheaper to buy just a splitter :P . Thanks for all the help guys!

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

I like Cougar fans, you can buy some Cougar Turbines for cheapish. Though since you need a PWM 140mm fan you'd have to go with a Vortex PWM.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I'm looking at getting some Aerocool Dead Silence 140s to put in my Define R4 when it arrives. I haven't quite decided yet though.

Don't personally have them, but am tempted to switch my NZXT fans for the Prolimatech PRO-BV14

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

So I found out the problem was my 3-pin on my mobo runs the fans at full speed no matter what. The Enthoo Pro stock fans are actually quiet if they're plugged into a PWM header, but they aren't PWM fans so that's weird.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

4pin is backwards compatible with 3 or 2 pin. The fans are running slower because they are being controlled by lowered voltage instead of pwm. 

Oh, okay thanks for all the help man.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler