GPU baking

LikvidJozsi

Hey guys!

I have a GTX460 and recetly it started creating artifacts on the screen and freezing while trying to play any games. Its a pretty old card and i wanted to change it to a GTX970 anyway but im waiting for a pricedrop on that card. So I wanted to squeeze a bit more time out of it. I tried underclocking and it seems like it's stable. But this way the card is much less powerful and maybe baking it would make it be able to run on its original speed again, but it might hurt the card even further so im not sure what to do. Most people say that if the card is already dead its worth a shot to try baking it, but this situation is a bit different. So what do you think, could baking make it worse? 

PS: I have a bit of experience with hardware but im hardly a pro, so could it be that a diagnosed the problem wrong and maybe my motherboard or someting else is the wrong component?(Artifacts appeared even while browsing sometimes, and it freezed when trying to play any game, it did not start after any driver updates just out of nowhere, there were no overheating issues either, it freezed almost immediately after launching a gamewhile with the gpu not even over 50 C, and even before the problems temperatures never went over 70 C, the artifacts were multi colored but mostly red, not just lines but random patterns and the screen was completely covered by them)

If it artifacts it's most likely the GPU. 

AFAIK Artifact leads to death.

It's worth a shot. Just take off the cooler first ;)

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

well I baked my geforce 9800 gtx that was a having problems and it works just fine now

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

It has a little dust in it but nothing too bad, but as I said there were no overheating problems, it went up to only around 69 C under maximum load on stock frequency

Just remember that once you bake it your oven will be useless. When you bake the GPU Toxic fumes gets impregnated in the oven walls. I wouldn't bake anything besides GPU's once you do that.

Maybe the GPU baking thing is a little more expensive than you thought.

Uh if it really is dangerous i won't try it, but why haven't i read about these fumes anywhere else?(i read like 5 articles on how to do this baking none of them mentioned this)Anyway i don't want to risk it. 

@LikvidJozsi

How much did you have to underclock it by? And has the card has been perfectly stable underclocked? Also what CPU and motherboard have you got?

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Doughnutnator, I don't exactly know where you got that information from, but I honestly believe it's plain wrong.

I already baked 3 graphic cards in my oven, and i'm alive and well. All 3 of these cards are still working just fine, just like my oven.

If you want to be sure that you dont get any sickness from fumes i have never heard of, clean your oven before and after. make aure there is no thermal paste left on your card while baking it. Aside from that I dont think anything can really happen to you. Baking is no guaranteed success though - if it breaks its your own fault.

Good Luck!

I have underclocked from 715 to 405mhz i tried 500 first but it didn't work, now on 405 i can run everything and no artifacts anywhere (with lower fps of course). I have a gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 board and an i5-2400

I don't think the Fermi cards were susceptible to fracturing solder joints which can be cured with baking. That was more an 8000-series thing back in the day.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

That is what I was thinking. Everywhere i go i only see successful 8800 ultra resurrects there is nothing of newer cards. Also that fume thing even if it is a hoax made me wonder. And there is the chance that afterwards the crad won't work even on 400mhz. There is no way I'm baking it. Thanks for the help everyone! :)

Doughnutnator, I don't exactly know where you got that information from, but I honestly believe it's plain wrong.

I already baked 3 graphic cards in my oven, and i'm alive and well. All 3 of these cards are still working just fine, just like my oven.

If you want to be sure that you dont get any sickness from fumes i have never heard of, clean your oven before and after. make aure there is no thermal paste left on your card while baking it. Aside from that I dont think anything can really happen to you. Baking is no guaranteed success though - if it breaks its your own fault.

Good Luck!

I don't remember where I heard it, I think that it was in a Linus video, but use your Logic. At that temps is obvious that something is going to heat up to the point that can release some fumes, and that fumes can be toxic.

Yeah, you can clean the oven and be fine, I didn't said that you will die. But it can be dangerous.