problem with an GTX480

Hi,

..it started like a week or so, when I was paying some mmo's. Game was smooth (over70fps) and all that when suddenly it droped to 7-10fps. First I tough it was the game, Tera is known of having some UI problems that may cause low fps, but not if you have i5 3xxx, anyway. I restarted the game, the pc, then I went back in and all run smooth again, for less then a minute. oke so I told my self that the game needs a maintenance or someting I don't know, so I decide to open crysis3, grid2, shift2, few others that I have, and with all games happened exactly the same thing. After 5min of running the game fps droped under 10. The temps were oke, are oke, It never pass 72degree. With all this nothing left to do, so I said to go msconfig and do a clean boot then uninstall driver and reinstall, so it was. But before I said just to give it a try to run games without any program, maybe that have something to do with. I did run 2 games and no more fps drop, but obviously gpu were somewhere 90 100degree im sure, I couldn't see cuz I didn't had MSI afterburner open. So the problem I belive it was the afterburner. I went to nvidia site and got from there, their nvidia tools to adjust fan all that. With that so, fps still drops after 5min. I have the lasted drivers, I even tried older drives, same thing. I cannot leave a gtx 480 without fan turned on, this cards are hell!! I have stock card by the way. Please guys help me with this one, I cannot buy any other card, If someone else had this problem or have and did get rid of. let me know what is it and how I can fix.

Thanks.

(I did my best with my english, I don't risk google translate, hope you all understand. regards, Andreas)

Sounds like your video card is on its way out. Have you done any OCing at all? I know you said stock, but that could also mean the cooler is stock.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This may sound like a stupid idea, but try running the Windows Experience Index test.

I had a 6770 half a year ago, I did the test and it failed. I then learned that the GPU was dead.

480 is a pretty old card. Try it out. Cant hurt anything.

- Zalman Z11 Plus - ASRock Extreme3 970 AM3+ - FX 6100 @3.3GHz - 16GB Crucial Ballistix @1600MHz - Diamond Radeon HD 7850 2GB - Inland 600 Watt

-ADATA S510 SSD 120GB OS - 1TB WD Green for Storage - Westinghouse 26" TV (1920x1080) - Logitech K520 Mouse & Keyboard - Razer DeathAdder 2013 -

Sounds like your video card is on its way out. Have you done any OCing at all? I know you said stock, but that could also mean the cooler is stock.

aw god! no! ..I use to have it at 750core clock, but more than an year ago, back then I had 2 27" monitors and I needed that boost. Since then I only have 1for me 1for family :D .. and no more oc over a year, I am very honest and sad to hear this.

aw god! no! ..I use to have it at 750core clock, but more than an year ago, back then I had 2 27" monitors and I needed that boost. Since then I only have 1for me 1for family :D .. and no more oc over a year, I am very honest and sad to hear this.

Okay. So no OCing issue - the reason why I was asking is because I had a 560 Ti that - once it went past 1GHz - my FPS dipped.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I'm not really into OCing. Burns the cards out quicker. Less life span.

- Zalman Z11 Plus - ASRock Extreme3 970 AM3+ - FX 6100 @3.3GHz - 16GB Crucial Ballistix @1600MHz - Diamond Radeon HD 7850 2GB - Inland 600 Watt

-ADATA S510 SSD 120GB OS - 1TB WD Green for Storage - Westinghouse 26" TV (1920x1080) - Logitech K520 Mouse & Keyboard - Razer DeathAdder 2013 -

I'm not really into OCing. Burns the cards out quicker. Less life span.

That's really if you increase voltage to an unsafe value. The real killer is the voltage. Less voltage, slower killing of circuits.

This may sound like a stupid idea, but try running the Windows Experience Index test.

I had a 6770 half a year ago, I did the test and it failed. I then learned that the GPU was dead.

480 is a pretty old card. Try it out. Cant hurt anything.

I did, it has no problem, it pass. 7.9score

I did, it has no problem, it pass. 7.9score

Interesting. Maybe it's not a dying video card then?

Interesting. Maybe it's not a dying video card then?

It's not dead. But there is a clock problem with it or something.

Are you sure the clocks are default?

It's not dead. But there is a clock problem with it or something.

Are you sure the clocks are default?

yes, I am very sure about that, As I said, I havent oc my gpu over an year. I will let you know some pc spec (fx 6100 oc 4.5, on full stress it never pass 65degree in summer, games run at 53 56degree. MB-Ga 970a D3, ddr3 corsaire 1600c9.)

What does Afterburner say when running a game?

What does Afterburner say when running a game?

I have no afterburner or anything else that can adjust or show fps, temp right now. But when it happened, in some game temp 68-70degree and fps. Only that I have to monitor while I play. So from 70degree 70fps+ to 10fps and 50degree in a second. This is the mystery part.

I have no afterburner or anything else that can adjust or show fps, temp right now. But when it happened, in some game temp 68-70degree and fps. Only that I have to monitor while I play. So from 70degree 70fps+ to 10fps and 50degree in a second. This is the mystery part.

I'm asking because I wanna see what the clocks are.

I'm asking because I wanna see what the clocks are.

oke I understand, I will reinstall afterburner, nvidia driver then I will add to monitor clocks, gpu usage and all that. I will let you know if something strange happens, like clock drop or gpu usage. It will take a while to see all this, but I am on all night so I'll keep up to update.

Alright.

oke, so here we are. Did a clean restart with clean uninstall/install nvidia driver+afterburner. The first change that I notice it was gpu temp. It doesn't run at the temp it did before, with the fan at 75% never had more then 70 73degree, now with fan speed 75% it goes 82+ u.u, Here are some pics and see for your self the things that change.  SS1 & SS2

In case you can't see the pics I write down the specs.

BEFORE 1. gpu temp -75-80degree+ - 93% usage - core clock 701Mhz - shader clock 1401Mhz

pcb temp -54degree

memory -1848Mhz - usage 847- 850

fps -52 - 60

---------------------------------------------------

AFTER 2.  gpu temp -70 and going down to 65 60degree again - 35%-42% usage - core clock 701Mhz - shader clock 1401Mhz

pcb temp -54degree

memory -1848Mhz - usage 1020+/-!!!!

fps -13-19

---------------------------------------------------

I feel like It run out of memory. I don't have any player going on, or any other program running while I play, I do some times youtube, but this test was with a clean boot and still having the problem, Also I had changed the thermal paste last month. I'm really worried right now, why did temps went up that much and it will be very sad to lose this card, can't afford anything else. >.<' ( I will have to leave for now, pls let you comments)

post-28969-0-18315400-1370730555.jpg

post-28969-0-15433000-1370730562.jpg

well... did windows did an update right before the problems started?  how long has it been since a format? maybe just do a format and test it then... if it still doesn't work then, sorry to say you 480 is on it's way out, i got rid of my 480 after 2 years, it just lost it perfmance as well, try running settings down, maybe you can stretch lifetime out a little bit. maybe try to look for monitor issues like color changing sometimes or stuff like that

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

I recommend re installing Windows and trying it out then. If that works, try a different card for a substitute.

well... did windows did an update right before the problems started?  how long has it been since a format? maybe just do a format and test it then... if it still doesn't work then, sorry to say you 480 is on it's way out, i got rid of my 480 after 2 years, it just lost it perfmance as well, try running settings down, maybe you can stretch lifetime out a little bit. maybe try to look for monitor issues like color changing sometimes or stuff like that

ofc it did, btw this is my lil brother pc. I saw that in the past 2weeks windows hase done updates to frame network 3,5 to 4, some system updates, MSE updates only this. What I've just noticed that microsoft installed SP1 without asking, and now I cannot unninstall. I saw in some news that in aprill microsot pushed to the poeple that doesn't had SP1 forced installing without user permision. u.u My monitor is new, monitor in 100% is fine, and I haven't saw any weird colors while I was playing any game so far. Last format I did it was an year a go.

I recommend re installing Windows and trying it out then. If that works, try a different card for a substitute.

reinstalling windows with all this things that I have now, is a big step to do, quite not want to do it. u.u BUT I noticed and is strange is that now I did a system restore with the older nvidia driver on, cuz I saw there are so many having almost same problem with the new driver 320.18, anyway, so while I play DX9 games, the card doesn't use more than 400 450mb, but when I run DX11 games, ram start going up. And there is where the problem start. After ram reaching 890mb+ gpu usage drops from 98% to 30%. Do I run out of memory or what? If so, how do I make the game to use less or card to give more memory to the game so this doesn't have to happen.

not the first problems with dx11 gamesettings, it's an nvidia driver isue it seems, just use dx9?

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/