120mm AIO + Nzxt G10 + (Reference) GTX 970?

Hello everyone, I'm working on a build and I was wondering, will a 120mm AIO liquid cooler (like the corsair h80i for example) be enough to cool a GTX 970 when coupled with a NZXT G10? Also, will a single 120mm RAD be enough to cool a 4790k? My config would run a NZXT Kraken x41 + some 120mm rad AIO cooler. So I was wondering which cooler I should put on my cpu and gpu, should I give the 140mm Priority to the 4790k or the gtx 970 and will a 120mm aio cooler be enough to cool them adequately. 

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Hello everyone, I'm working on a build and I was wondering, will a 120mm AIO liquid cooler (like the corsair h80i for example) be enough to cool a GTX 970 when coupled with a NZXT G10? Also, will a single 120mm RAD be enough to cool a 4790k? My config would run a NZXT Kraken x41 + some 120mm rad AIO cooler. So I was wondering which cooler I should put on my cpu and gpu, should I give the 140mm Priority to the 4790k or the gtx 970 and will a 120mm aio cooler be enough to cool them adequately. 

Thank you all in advance for your input.

I cooled my non refereance 970 board with G10 but with H90 and i get great results 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/244715-msi-970-aio-liquid-cooled-and-cpu/

As for CPU:

My opinion is CPU air coolers are just as good as AIO 120/140mm rads and its only worth to put a 240mm + rad on a CPU

For the GPU A 120/140mm will be fine and you wont see a big temp difference when you got to a 240mm rad but i would run the 120/140mm in push pull for optimal performance

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

I cooled my non refereance 970 board with G10 but with H90 and i get great results 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/244715-msi-970-aio-liquid-cooled-and-cpu/

As for CPU:

My opinion is CPU air coolers are just as good as AIO 120/140mm rads and its only worth to put a 240mm + rad on a CPU

For the GPU A 120/140mm will be fine and you wont see a big temp difference when you got to a 240mm rad but i would run the 120/140mm in push pull for optimal performance

As for the 140mm, the Nzxt Kraken x41 (1x 140mm rad) actually outperforms the corsair h100i, so I'm thinking that'll go on the CPU, although I'm not completely 'turned-off' to air coolers, I'm building a Mini-ITX build in a BitFenix Prodigy, so including the 140mm Rad, I wouldn't have too much clearance for a good sized Air Cooler. That being said, thank you so much, If I can run a 120mm on the GPU I'm happy.

As for the 140mm, the Nzxt Kraken x41 (1x 140mm rad) actually outperforms the corsair h100i, so I'm thinking that'll go on the CPU, although I'm not completely 'turned-off' to air coolers, I'm building a Mini-ITX build in a BitFenix Prodigy, so including the 140mm Rad, I wouldn't have too much clearance for a good sized Air Cooler. That being said, thank you so much, If I can run a 120mm on the GPU I'm happy.

The H80i is not compatible with the G10. The X41 is though. G10 on the GPU only needs a 120mm AIO. Anything more and you get massive diminishing returns.

CPU on the other hand, as a minimum for AIO you want 240mm. 120/140mm AIOs are a job half done. They are more expensive and perform worse than their less expensive air tower counterparts. I do understand that you are tight on space though. The X41 is a good cooler, but the LTT results are a little misleading. Look at other reviews and you will quickly see that the X41 falls behind 240mm AIOs, especially at higher voltages.

If you are dead set on liquid cooling, maybe two X41s are your best option for such a small form factor. Make sure you run in push/pull, especially with GPU. I use an X31 on my 780 and get fantastic results. The X31 is kinda loud though.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The H80i is not compatible with the G10. The X41 is though. G10 on the GPU only needs a 120mm AIO. Anything more and you get massive diminishing returns.

CPU on the other hand, as a minimum for AIO you want 240mm. 120/140mm AIOs are a job half done. They are more expensive and perform worse than their less expensive air tower counterparts. I do understand that you are tight on space though. The X41 is a good cooler, but the LTT results are a little misleading. Look at other reviews and you will quickly see that the X41 falls behind 240mm AIOs, especially at higher voltages.

If you are dead set on liquid cooling, maybe two X41s are your best option for such a small form factor. Make sure you run in push/pull, especially with GPU. I use an X31 on my 780 and get fantastic results. The X31 is kinda loud though.

Ah, I was thinking of getting a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro, but now I'm just considering getting an Asus Strix and using the x41 for the CPU. Then when I'm doing my upgrades next year I'll add a custom loop. That was my original plan but I can't think of a decent loop for the CPU and GPU that costs 250$.

Ah, I was thinking of getting a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro, but now I'm just considering getting an Asus Strix and using the x41 for the CPU. Then when I'm doing my upgrades next year I'll add a custom loop. That was my original plan but I can't think of a decent loop for the CPU and GPU that costs 250$.

I know that space is a limiting factor for you, but give my How to Water Cool your CPU + GPU for Under $200 Guide a read.

You live in the U.S., so you will be able to do this.  It is just depending on how much space you have in your case.  If you are able to fit a 120/140mm AIO + a 240mm AIO.

Please keep in mind that with a smaller case, your temperatures are probably not going to be good as mine because I am using a full tower.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I just looked into the BitFenix Prodigy, and it doesn't look like this is going to work in that small of a case.  Yes, the Prodigy does have room for a 240mm AIO if you remove its 5.25" Bay, but it looks like only 1 fan will be able to be used, and you will not have room for a 2nd radiator in the rear, which would be necessary for your GPU.  Info and Pictures

It looks like you need to either look into buying a different case, or re-plan your strategy.

I just looked into the BitFenix Prodigy, and it doesn't look like this is going to work in that small of a case.  Yes, the Prodigy does have room for a 240mm AIO if you remove its 5.25" Bay, but it looks like only 1 fan will be able to be used, and you will not have room for a 2nd radiator in the rear, which would be necessary for your GPU.  Info and Pictures

It looks like you need to either look into buying a different case, or re-plan your strategy.

This is why I've opted for a 140mm rad for the CPU. So I can use the 140mm in the rear and the 120mm rad for the GPU in the open fan space just below the 5.25" bay. But checking your photos, I see this isn't going to work, this Mini ITX stuff is brutal.

I know that space is a limiting factor for you, but give my How to Water Cool your CPU + GPU for Under $200 Guide a read.

You live in the U.S., so you will be able to do this.  It is just depending on how much space you have in your case.  If you are able to fit a 120/140mm AIO + a 240mm AIO.

Please keep in mind that with a smaller case, your temperatures are probably not going to be good as mine because I am using a full tower.

By the way, thank you! I never knew that guide was up there, but it was incredibly helpful. You've really helped me alot with that guide.

By the way, thank you! I never knew that guide was up there, but it was incredibly helpful. You've really helped me alot with that guide.

Happy to help man, that's unfortunate that it won't fit because I love it when people use that guide to get amazing performance for under $200.

Have you considered a different case maybe?  The Phanteks Enthoo Evolv is supposed to be released soon, its out already in the UK. It is advertised as an mATX case, but its more mATX-ATX case, but it looks amazing and has a ton of room.

I'm sure there are other excellent mATX cases out there that will allow you to do this.

Happy to help man, that's unfortunate that it won't fit because I love it when people use that guide to get amazing performance for under $200.

Have you considered a different case maybe?  The Phanteks Enthoo Evolv is supposed to be released soon, its out already in the UK. It is advertised as an mATX case, but its more mATX-ATX case, but it looks amazing and has a ton of room.

I'm sure there are other excellent mATX cases out there that will allow you to do this.

I like that case, but It's about 3x the cost of the Prodigy when you convert it to USD. I am open to other Micro ITX Cases but It's hard to find ones that'll support the config I want.

I like that case, but It's about 3x the cost of the Prodigy when you convert it to USD. I am open to other Micro ITX Cases but It's hard to find ones that'll support the config I want.

3x as much?  I think its MSRP in USD is $120-$130.

How much is the Prodigy?  I thought its $80?

Maybe the Corsair 350D?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Mso3V5SAw

So maybe this'll help, my main dilemma is this:

The prodigy can support that 120 rad, but I'll either have to remove my 5.25" bay or remove my 3.25" Drive Cages. Now I wouldn't mind losing the 5.25 bay If I didn't have a fan controller in there to keep the fans on the rads at a setting I'd like. If  I could attach all the fans (5) plus the aio cooler pumps (2) on the mobo, everything would be awesome. I'm thinking of possibly using those Molex to 4-pin adapters you had in the guide + some fan splitters but then I'd lose my PWM control.

3x as much?  I think its MSRP in USD is $120-$130.

How much is the Prodigy?  I thought its $80?

Maybe the Corsair 350D?

Sorry, I mean 2x (with the rebate It's about 60)

So maybe this'll help, my main dilemma is this:

The prodigy can support that 120 rad, but I'll either have to remove my 5.25" bay or remove my 3.25" Drive Cages. Now I wouldn't mind losing the 5.25 bay If I didn't have a fan controller in there to keep the fans on the rads at a setting I'd like. If  I could attach all the fans (5) plus the aio cooler pumps (2) on the mobo, everything would be awesome. I'm thinking of possibly using those Molex to 4-pin adapters you had in the guide + some fan splitters but then I'd lose my PWM control.

If you do that, then you are getting less performance though.  I really don't think it makes sense to go 120/140mm AIO for your CPU.

By the way, what is the reason for going mATX?  Do you need portability, or you just want to have a small form factor?  Honestly, these mATX cases that are able to comfortably fit multiple AIOs are almost the size of ATX cases already.

Corsair 350D

Fractal Design Arc Mini 2

Aerocool DS Cube

If you do that, then you are getting less performance though.  I really don't think it makes sense to go 120/140mm AIO for your CPU.

By the way, what is the reason for going mATX?  Do you need portability, or you just want to have a small form factor?  Honestly, these mATX cases that are able to comfortably fit multiple AIOs are almost the size of ATX cases already.

Corsair 350D

Fractal Design Arc Mini 2

Aerocool DS Cube

As for the mATX, I was originally going to build a simple rig in a Corsair 380t, but I think the black and white versions of the case are aesthetically unattractive, so I only wanted the Yellow (Hornet Edition) one. I called Corsair to discover that the Hornet edition isn't available for public purchase at the moment so I decided to go for a prodigy since It would be cheaper and I like the way it looks in black, So with the extra money I would have saved (the 380t was 150$) I thought I'd try my hand at the 2x Aio + G10 thing. All I had to do was switch to a (cheaper) reference GPU, get an inexpensive cooler + the 30$ g10 and that was it. So long story-short, I want an mATX for the small form factor, although the portability is a plus.

As far the 140/120 for a cpu, I understand where you're coming from, but I've just been browsing through dozens of reviews and benchmarks, and so far the Kraken x41 and CM Nepton 140xl have the same cooling potential as  many 240 aio's under load (they have slightly higher temps on idle) because of their overall thickness and fin density.

I just had an Idea, I can find a 3.5" bay fan controller, even though It'd be inside the case, I wouldn't be too worried about it, I wouldn't be changing my RPMs on the fly, I'd set them to a level I find acceptable and would let them stay that way unless I really needed the ramp in fan speed (for some reason)

As for the mATX, I was originally going to build a simple rig in a Corsair 380t, but I think the black and white versions of the case are aesthetically unattractive, so I only wanted the Yellow (Hornet Edition) one. I called Corsair to discover that the Hornet edition isn't available for public purchase at the moment so I decided to go for a prodigy since It would be cheaper and I like the way it looks in black, So with the extra money I would have saved (the 380t was 150$) I thought I'd try my hand at the 2x Aio + G10 thing. All I had to do was switch to a (cheaper) reference GPU, get an inexpensive cooler + the 30$ g10 and that was it. So long story-short, I want an mATX for the small form factor, although the portability is a plus.

As far the 140/120 for a cpu, I understand where you're coming from, but I've just been browsing through dozens of reviews and benchmarks, and so far the Kraken x41 and CM Nepton 140xl have the same cooling potential as  many 240 aio's under load (they have slightly higher temps on idle) because of their overall thickness and fin density.

Ok, that clears things up.  I say go for it then.  The X41 is a very good AIO because of how thick it is, and at low to medium voltages, it does compare to 240mm AIOs.  If you are pushing your chips past 1.2v, that is when the 240mm AIOs really show their prowess. 

Anyways, I think you will be able to make this happen quite easily now that you've decided on dual X41s.

If you have any questions about the G10, please feel free to ask.

I just had an Idea, I can find a 3.5" bay fan controller, even though It'd be inside the case, I wouldn't be too worried about it, I wouldn't be changing my RPMs on the fly, I'd set them to a level I find acceptable and would let them stay that way unless I really needed the ramp in fan speed (for some reason)

If you buy an Asus motherboard, they have Fan XpertIII, which is amazing.   I seriously cannot live without Fan Xpert.  It allows you to control everything.  So, you could buy some Y splitters and control everything through Fan Xpert.

If you buy an Asus motherboard, they have Fan XpertIII, which is amazing.   I seriously cannot live without Fan Xpert.  It allows you to control everything.  So, you could buy some Y splitters and control everything through Fan Xpert.

I just realized you haven't seen my build list yet, here it is:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($304.82 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.86 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($154.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB XLR8 Video Card  ($335.66 @ Newegg) 
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($65.30 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12-1300 54.4 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller  ($28.44 @ Mwave) 
Other: NZXT G10 ($30.00)
Total: $1528.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-07 21:24 EST-0500

1550$ Is my limit. Now seeing as I have 3 fan headers on that mobo and 7 leads I need to connect, I'd need to do alot of y-splitting. Will that cause any issues?

Also, the only reason I'm concerned with fan pwm control is because of the default fans on the Nepton and the Kraken (If i were to get the Kraken over the Nepton) They're too loud to not control.

1550$ Is my limit. Now seeing as I have 3 fan headers on that mobo and 7 leads I need to connect, I'd need to do alot of y-splitting. Will that cause any issues?

Also, the only reason I'm concerned with fan pwm control is because of the default fans on the Nepton and the Kraken (If i were to get the Kraken over the Nepton) They're too loud to not control.

What is the purpose of your rig?  Gaming? Content Creation? Streaming?

Gaming & Content Creation (Video Editing)

How much performance do you think I'd lose If I were to run my rads in pull only?

Also, some coding (Mainly Hex and C++)