I think I've been scammed on eBay

Hello members of LTT forums.

Back in May of 2014, for my birthday I ordered myself a refurbished MSI Gaming R9 280X gpu to uprgade from my 7950 that had a fan die on it. AT the time, they were retailing in my country for around $400+, and I was able to snag this card at $225. I was very happy with my first ever ebay purchase. (besides blacked out chevy bowties for my truck a few years back, but that was not an auction) I recieved the product in about 3 weeks and teh payment went through, and I was very excited to try it out. I did all the proper steps, in regards to drivers, and static electricity, but unfortunatly the card was DOA...

I messaged the seller and he was very nice and appologized for the issue, and said either I could get a refund, or I could ship it back to him, and he would RMA the card, and then send me back the card once it is fixed. I was thrilled at the situation, as I was worried he would ignore me or something, and I would be out 225 and have a dead card. I shipped him back the card, and he let me know he sent it in for RMA. While waiting for the RMA however, he appologized that it was taking so long, and kept offering a refund as an option, and by this time the cost of the 280X new was much lower, so I decided I would rather keep the money and stick with my 7950 for the time being. 

This is when things got fishy, at least to me. AFter 2 weeks with no messages, he said sorry for the late reply, and that he was still waiting on MSI to return the card. Being an RMA noob, I wasn't sure if this was a long time for it to come back, so I left it. Three weeks after that message, and still nothing, I asked for more info as it had been so long, and he replied saying,

"EBay blocked everything including PayPal.

Apply to recover your money I will make everything possible to refund you. I tried to refund you directly they refused 2 weeks ago.

Strange but I didn't had access to my gmail account and strange IP logged in gmail...

Sorry for that. Something took control of that situation"

I had no idea what this meant and asked for more details, and he said,

"Sorry, I'll be more clear. Paypal is holding the funds. If I send you the card then I get no money. Already lost 2 cards for nothing. I have to go trough Quebec court to get it back in like 18 months. I don't have any control on the money and I have to report a loss on that situation...

Ask for a refund vie eBay. I'll do whatever I can to get them to refund the money asap. But hey, they did decide to scam me since I was blocked on another username.

They cracked down on 3 accounts at the same time. What a joke.

I am real sorry for this. Especially since the card was coming back from MSI this week and you have been real patient."

Because it had been more than 45 days, I could not apply for a refund.. Yay me. He then said he would try his best to get me a refund, and called eBay and paypal 'scammers in a suit'.

3 more weeks later, he told me he contacted paypal and said,

"Hello there, 

5AV01033T3887422T the transaction must be refunded to the eBay buyer. 

After suspension of my account, the buyer sent me the item sold since it was defective, but their money is still stuck on PayPal. 

Although this PayPal account will remain condemned saw your stifling policies, I spent amazon there are already a few months and my business worked perfectly. However, it is unfair to Mr. Sutherland have blocked and I am the only one who can contact you for this purpose money. 

Please at least be honest with Mr. Sutherland, contact and pay. He has neither the money nor video card since last May! 

This is a great client deserves consideration and attention from you, even if you represent one of the most unworthy companies on Earth. 

Thank you. 

PS: I will complete your validation in the coming months and I will send a notice to the $ 220 you owe me 100%."

A week later he told me that they had asked for more information, and that was all. Another month later, he said they hadn't said anything else. That was the last I have heard, and I've sent him many emails, but I haven't gotten a reply in 2 and a half months.. 

Any input on the situation would be appreciated, thank you!
Intel i5 4670k @4.2 GHz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Sabertooth Z87, Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 MHz 16GB, Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8GB, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, NZXT Switch 810, Asus MX34VQ, Asus MX239H.

If he's a new seller, paypal holds funds for up to 28 days before he can access the cash.

He should send the card. He's either not aware of how ebay works, or he is just being a general bellend.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

didnt read it all, but it sure sounds like you did

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Open a case on Paypal and Ebay, and then contact your countries non emergency police number and report it as fraud. Make sure you get a crime number.

Open a case on Paypal and Ebay, and then contact your countries non emergency police number and report it as fraud. Make sure you get a crime number.

I tried opening a case, but it is out of the time window as it has been so long unfortunatley. As for reporting fraud, that is a good idea, thank you for the input!

Intel i5 4670k @4.2 GHz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Asus Sabertooth Z87, Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 MHz 16GB, Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8GB, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, NZXT Switch 810, Asus MX34VQ, Asus MX239H.

If he's a new seller, paypal holds funds for up to 28 days before he can access the cash.

He should send the card. He's either not aware of how ebay works, or he is just being a general bellend.

He was a new seller, but it has been much more than 28 days unfortunately

• 2 weeks later...

you could have gotten a 7970 GHZ edition for less(the 280x is a 7970)

"like if you could buy two Xbox Ones, put them togheter and actually play games at 1080P! Ha! BURN"

-Linus