How much data mining does Google services framework do?

PinnIver

So I've been running a Google-less nexus 5 for a good while now with cyanogenmod. My only problem is that many apps does not work without the google framework installed. Now, being a privacy minded person, I'm extremely skeptical to anything Google these days. Does anyone know how much data Google will get on you, if you just have the framework installed, and not using any of their apps, like hangouts or calendar or the like?

CPU: i7 4790K, GPU: Sli Gtx 980, MB: Msi Gaming 5 z97, Ram: 8 Gig HyperX Fury, PSU: Corsair RM 750, Cooling: Corsair H100i

Not that much, you should be more concerned about your mobile carrier.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Wow and heres me with my data all over the place in like 10 different cloud storage locations, shared all over twitter, facebookn icloud and google drive

honestly even if you are a privacy minded person are you that paranoid about google having some data on you at the expense of having to avoid using their apps? I mean its probable that half of those apps are storing data  on you anyway

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Wow and heres me with my data all over the place in like 10 different cloud storage locations, shared all over twitter, facebookn icloud and google drive

honestly even if you are a privacy minded person are you that paranoid about google having some data on you at the expense of having to avoid using their apps? I mean its probable that half of those apps are storing data  on you anyway

It's not that I'm afraid really. For me it's more a matter of principle. You're probably right about apps storing information anyways, but I try to limit it as much as possible, mainly using the xposed framework to make sure that each app only get information they actually require. 

CPU: i7 4790K, GPU: Sli Gtx 980, MB: Msi Gaming 5 z97, Ram: 8 Gig HyperX Fury, PSU: Corsair RM 750, Cooling: Corsair H100i

It's not that I'm afraid really. For me it's more a matter of principle. You're probably right about apps storing information anyways, but I try to limit it as much as possible, mainly using the xposed framework to make sure that each app only get information they actually require. 

I completely understand, but if it means having useful services vs privacy, I will go for useful services

I wont live forever, but maybe I can live forever in googles data centre :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

-snip-

"When knowledge is power, privacy is freedom."

I personally have no intention of ever loving Big Brother.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

"When knowledge is power, privacy is freedom."

I personally have no intention of ever loving Big Brother.

Irrelevant, I wish all of my data was anonymous, but I also value the service those applications provide and their simplicity

Basically, you have to decide, do I want a more difficult time using my devices, the result is you can value your privacy

or do you decide, these services and apps are great, If the cost is my privacy then so be it

I personally feel like life is too short to sit around worrying about where the 1s and 0s about me are being stored, especially if it means I cannot do certain things on devices I had to work for and spend hard earned cash on

Am I making any sense?

If you have nothing to hide and can think for yourself, then convenience > privacy. Don't let the targeted advertising get you down :)

-snip-

Yes, but only in the context of someone who doesn't understand what precedence is and why it's important to always consider. 

It's perfectly fine for you to be this way now, but by being this way, people who treat it this way enable a future where it won't be this way anymore. 

i.e. Being complacent now makes it easier and more likely that we can't be complacent in the future.

If you have nothing to hide and can think for yourself, then convenience > privacy. Don't let the targeted advertising get you down :)

facepalm.gif

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yes, but only in the context of someone who doesn't understand what precedence is and why it's important to always consider. 

What point are you trying to make, precedence is all well and good, but cutting off your nose to spite your face is also ridiculous 

It's perfectly fine for you to be this way now, but by being this way, people who treat it this way enable a future where it won't be this way anymore. 

i.e. Being complacent now makes it easier and more likely that we can't be complacent in the future.

facepalm.gif

Enjoy your tin foil hat :)

What point are you trying to make, precedence is all well and good, but cutting off your nose to spite your face is also ridiculous 

... Using an alternate email service to Gmail, Yahoo, or Outlook is cutting off your nose? It's mild inconvenience at best. 

My point is that by taking the stance that this is acceptable, and that a person's privacy isn't worth mild inconvenience, people who do so make it more likely that future companies are willing to do things with our data that we wouldn't normally accept. 

It's hard to explain in short, but the general idea for me is that the corporations have enough power. Don't give them more, and don't enable them to get more later.

Enjoy your tin foil hat :)

It's not a matter of conspiracies or that I believe they are using my data for bad reasons. It's simply a matter of principle in that what I do is my business and I'm not interested in people recording that stuff without my knowledge of what is actually being recorded and why. Or in helping them do it.

It's not about what's happening now. It's about how what's happening now is going to affect what is going to happen in the future. 

† Christian Member †

.SNIP

Yeah Its a fair enough stance, but removing the entire google frame work from your phone is (in my own honest none judgemental opinion) an extreme move

besides who honestly knows if those alternative service providers are not using your data anyway, sure they are not major corporations, but they still have your data and may still do nefarious things with it, or it may be compromised due to lack of security (or any other scenario)

I think if you were THAT serious about it, then you either do it 100%, or not at all, as somewhere along the line your data will be going somewhere and you have no control

-snip-

While that's true, you have to do what you can do. Just being complacent with it isn't the answer in those situations.

† Christian Member †

While that's true, you have to do what you can do. Just being complacent with it isn't the answer in those situations.

That very much depends on if you really care or not

Personally, I am 100% bothered, I wish companies did not do this at all, I do not like the practice but don't have the time or patience to sit around worrying about it,

Let me make this as an example

Somebody says "dont buy that game, its a console exclusive and buy buying it you are supporting that practice"... and I would say . "true, but I still want to play it"

Its hard to explain what I mean, but I think if somebody really wanted to be off the grid they would probably just not use the net, or not even use a smartphone, I mean who says your network carrier is not logging your data etc... its just TOO much work to stay anonymous 100% of the time, so I just dont bother

Burying my head in the sand I suppose, not ashamed to admit it