i5 or i7 for games ?

Hezork

Whether or not an i7 will increase your game's performance over an i5 (being able to use more than 4 threads isn't the same as maxing out more than 4 threads), it does certainly allow you to run more things in the background without influencing your gaming performance. If that is really worth another 100€ or so... that's actually one of the things anyone needs to decide for her-/himself.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

When at the same speed, i5 = i7 for ALL games except one, Watch Dogs, which is a smishsmorsion of a game.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/5

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7189/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-september-2013/10

Don't confuse usage with performance.  Just because the i7s usage is lower, doesn't mean it performs better.

I play BF4(64p Ultra, Conquest Large Online) + Netflix/iTunes + Skype/Teamspeak/Ventrillo + Overwolf + Web Browsing + HWiNFO + MSI Afterburner + RivaStats RTSS/FRAPS and my usage is in the 80s, but the game plays just as well as an i7.

For gaming, you buy an i5 + most expensive GPU you can afford, unless you have a massive budget and can get the i7.

If you do content creation, then an i7 is going to really shine in that area.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR