PC won't start, CPU problem?

KSnOwnage

So.. I let my brother use my computer and when I came back to use it, i noticed that somehow my Intel CPU heatsink was off and fell on my video card. I shut off the pc quickly but now it won't post after I put the heatsink back.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sadly yes... RIP CPU

ps. did you apply thermal paste after putting it back?

CPU: i5 25000 3.3 GHz             Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK          Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB           Display: Samsung SD24 24" 1080p          

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB     Sound: Razer Kraken pro                            PSU: Rosewill 630 watt                    Storage 1: 128 GB Adata XPG SX900 SSD

Case: Rosewill Challenger       CPU Cooler: Corsair h80i                    Mouse: Corsair M65                                   Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB HDD

Guess you can just take out the CPU and check while the heatsink is off.

System: Thinkpad T460

the cpu should have shut off to save its self, unplug your power supply for 15 or so mins and try again, if nothing try clearing cmos

Yes I applied some new paste. It's a Pentium G3258. You really think it's RIP? I thought it would have some safety mechanism where it would shut off if it got too hot? If that ends up to be the case, I guess the quad core upgrade will come sooner than expected..

Yes I applied some new paste. It's a Pentium G3258. You really think it's RIP? I thought it would have some safety mechanism where it would shut off if it got too hot? If that ends up to be the case, I guess the quad core upgrade will come sooner than expected..

In some cases, your CPU will be damaged slightly. But in your case, I would try clearing cmos like stated above, if that does not work i would say its dead. 

Maybe check if pins are bent when the heatsink fell?

CPU: i5 25000 3.3 GHz             Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LK          Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB           Display: Samsung SD24 24" 1080p          

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SC 2 GB     Sound: Razer Kraken pro                            PSU: Rosewill 630 watt                    Storage 1: 128 GB Adata XPG SX900 SSD

Case: Rosewill Challenger       CPU Cooler: Corsair h80i                    Mouse: Corsair M65                                   Storage 2: Seagate 2 TB HDD

How would I go about clearing the CMOS? I'm a newbie when it comes to that part.

How would I go about clearing the CMOS? I'm a newbie when it comes to that part.

It's a z97 Asrock Extreme4 mobo.

It's a z97 Asrock Extreme4 mobo.

Locate the battery on your motherboard. Take it off and leave it out for 10-15 minutes. Then put it back and turn the PC back on

Locate the battery on your motherboard. Take it off and leave it out for 10-15 minutes. Then put it back and turn the PC back on

Hmm.. Just tried and no luck. Lame.. Any more options or possibilities before I start the process of getting a new cpu? It was running fine before that incident. It must be the cpu.

Hmm.. Just tried and no luck. Lame.. Any more options or possibilities before I start the process of getting a new cpu? It was running fine before that incident. It must be the cpu.

Sorry to hear. Next steps I would take would be, taking out one of the ram sticks (if you have more than one) or try swapping the ram stick with a different one if you only have one installed. Also, it could be USB that cause this, so try taking out any USB's out of the ports except keyboard and mouse, place those into USB 2.0. Next would be, taking out the Video card and running your display off of the onboard motherboard graphics

Sorry to hear. Next steps I would take would be, taking out one of the ram sticks (if you have more than one) or try swapping the ram stick with a different one if you only have one installed. Also, it could be USB that cause this, so try taking out any USB's out of the ports except keyboard and mouse, place those into USB 2.0. Next would be, taking out the Video card and running your display off of the onboard motherboard graphics

Yeah, I took out the graphics card to take out the battery. Seems like the cpu did fail somehow. Just to make sure, if the cpu is bad, nothing will turn on at all right?

even if the cpu is bad it just wont post the fact that it wont turn on could be a complete and different issue

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

even if the cpu is bad it just wont post the fact that it wont turn on could be a complete and different issue

Well everything was running perfectly fine until the cpu cooler failed. Should some lights/fans still turn on even if the cpu is bad?

Unplug ALL cables that are connected to your pc, disconnect all devices that is connected to your mainboard, remove the battery for 15minutes. 

OHHH: The heatsink fell on your graphicscard? Maybe your grapicscard is broken and your cpu works.

Well everything was running perfectly fine until the cpu cooler failed. Should some lights/fans still turn on even if the cpu is bad?

usually if a cpu fails it will still look like it turns on, fans and psu will start up, if nothing happens at all it could be either the motherboard or psu. a quick way to test the psu is to take out the 24 pin connector, take a piece of wire or something, and put it into the green and grey pins to short them out, this should turn on the psu if its still fine. It's not always 100% accurate, but it usually gives you an indication if the psu is completely busted.

other than that, disconnect everything and try to start up with mb/cpu/ram only

Unplug ALL cables that are connected to your pc, disconnect all devices that is connected to your mainboard, remove the battery for 15minutes.

OHHH: The heatsink fell on your graphicscard? Maybe your grapicscard is broken and your cpu works.

Well, I tried without the graphics card already. The CPU graphics should've at least worked though. Nothing will turn on at all though ever since I turned off the PC because the cpu was overheating. I will unplug everything and leave it alone for some time. Then also test the PSU. I want to thank everyone in the thread for the help by the way! Hopefully I can get it running.

Alright, updating some info. The power supply seems to at least be pushing power through the system. I have a mouse and keyboard that light up when the PSU is on even if the PC is off. Now it's down to the CPU itself or somehow it caused damage to the mobo.

The CPU should be dead. Without a heatsink, temps will skyrocket leading to it's death, unless the motherboard has a safety feature where it kills the power at a certain CPU temp. I'm sure most do. You can always RMA the processor.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

The CPU should be dead. Without a heatsink, temps will skyrocket leading to it's death, unless the motherboard has a safety feature where it kills the power at a certain CPU temp. I'm sure most do. You can always RMA the processor.

Pentium's have a failsafe called speedstep since 2005 in CPU's causing them to thermal throttle down to enormous levels to withstand heat.

I just want to make sure it isn't the motherboard.. I have the Asrock Extreme4 Z97 mobo. When I try powering it on, nothing lights up, no fans, etc.. It also has a debug led and it doesn't come on either. Could that still be caused by the CPU? Somehow the mouse and keyboard still get power through the board if they are able to light up. Should I just try to RMA both?

Pentium's have a failsafe called speedstep since 2005 in CPU's causing them to thermal throttle down to enormous levels to withstand heat.

@OP

Did you check for any bent pins?

Hmm.. so the cpu should be at least somewhat okay. Hopefully I didn't miss a step from the above posters or do a step wrong. I'll check for the bent pins tomorrow after work and I'll keep you updated. Starting to think that the whole incident probably affected the motherboard then..

Last thing you can try is put another cpu in it, considering if you have an extra lying around.

Otherwise just RMA it as long as you still have warranty.

Wow, I did one last attempt when I got home from work before I started the RMA process and all systems seem good to go. It probably had to do with the safety features on some of the parts. Left it alone overnight and all seems good now.

Thanks to everyone who invested their time in this!