Windows 8 being extremely slow

Cruiseshipfan
Go to solution Solved by Cruiseshipfan,

So extremely good news. It looks like it was an issue with windows 8 itself. As after updating to 8.1 my laptop is quick and responsive just like it should be for the hardware. Changing between things is near instant now instead of waiting a few minuted. So much better, best thing microsoft has done in years. 

I am currently looking in task manager at the performance of the system. They are as follows:

CPU: Rarely getting over 10%

Ram: 60%

HDD: Pretty much 100% usage at all times, Average response time gets into the 1000's when ever I actually tell it to open something. Read speeds, rarely getting over 10MB/s. 

I don't know if that is normal. 

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Ok so you either have a program using your HDD, which Windows 8 will tell you under Processes tab, or your HDD is faulty.

Have you tried running anything like malware bytes or super antispyware to see if there is spyware or malware causing it to run slow? I know it's new but it is good to check.

Was it slow immediately the first time you used it before you uninstalled the preinstalled crapware? Perhaps you removed something that was important? Can you do a system restore or even better a factory reset?

Try something like crystal disk info which will tell you the smart status of the hard drive.

Honestly, those specs sound great, my 2 year old laptop isn't even close (except I have 16gb RAM and a 7200 RPM 500 GB WD Black drive). I think you got a defective system if you can't get it working better with a fresh install of Windows.

Your system should definitely be a lot faster than that. I say clean install

I am currently looking in task manager at the performance of the system. They are as follows:

CPU: Rarely getting over 10%

Ram: 60%

HDD: Pretty much 100% usage at all times, Average response time gets into the 1000's when ever I actually tell it to open something. Read speeds, rarely getting over 10MB/s. 

I don't know if that is normal. 

it could be a faulty hard drive. Run crystaldiskinfo 5.0 to check for any hard drive errors and also see the health of it.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Ok so you either have a program using your HDD, which Windows 8 will tell you under Processes tab, or your HDD is faulty.

Looking in processes it looks like the only one that is really causing any real work is the System, everything else stays constantly under 0.5 MB/s, and mostly around 0.1 MB/s for major programs, such as Google chrome and everything thing else isn't even measured, but it doesn't looks like there is anything there causing it. I am thinking its a faulty hdd but no programs have found any issues with it, which is the thing puzzling me. Just sucks for me that unless I can find an issue, I need to pay for the parts as well as a Samsung Authorised Service Centre to swap out the hdd for a hybrid drive, even though its so basic. 

Have you tried running anything like malware bytes or super antispyware to see if there is spyware or malware causing it to run slow? I know it's new but it is good to check.

Was it slow immediately the first time you used it before you uninstalled the preinstalled crapware? Perhaps you removed something that was important? Can you do a system restore or even better a factory reset?

Try something like crystal disk info which will tell you the smart status of the hard drive.

Honestly, those specs sound great, my 2 year old laptop isn't even close (except I have 16gb RAM and a 7200 RPM 500 GB WD Black drive). I think you got a defective system if you can't get it working better with a fresh install of Windows.

I ran Malware Bytes and got 0 issues. 

Yes its been slow since I first turned it on, even during the windows 8 setup stage. 

I ran crystal disk info and the results are below. 

it could be a faulty hard drive. Run crystaldiskinfo 5.0 to check for any hard drive errors and also see the health of it.

2q84sbn.jpg

All values not listed are either either 100, 252, 55 and 200. I don't think there is any issue, but I don't really know anything about this part. 

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

This slowness even includes playing videos. Which stop and start all the time, basically once it gets half way, I need to treat movies as though I am downloading them, by leaving it and coming back later. 

However Samsung said I can upgrade my ram without voiding Warrenty, so I am looking at Corsair Vengeance dimms. My laptop can support two dimms, and I want 8GB, currently I have 4GB. The Vengeance dimms seem to have the same stats as the samsung dimm in my laptop, but I am not sure whether it would be best to replace the existing dimm, with 8GB of vengeance for twice the cost or if its just as good to add one dimm of vengeance. 

My PC:

Anyone. 

Just an update, it seems to of increased some speed by itself, however its made something impossible such as right clicking in file explorer, even when the folder is empty one right click of the mouse and every single file explorer window become unresponsive, causing me to close them all. However I can transfer a 1GB over usb 3 in a matter of seconds. Its not making any sense. 

My PC:

guys ... i have a 5400 rpm 160gb old as funk hdd and windows 8 rocks on it ... chrome launches within the time it takes to blink. i think something's up with your installation 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

• 3 months later...

This issue still isn't solved and I believe it is an issue within windows 8. The hardware has been checked and there is nothing wrong with it. It seems as though the os is doing some strange things with the memory. I am constantly having ram issues even when I only have 3 tabs open to google, I stop all other non os processes and yet it is still saying I have used 4GB of ram plus the 12GB of Virtual memory. I think I just need to hope that Microsoft knows there is an issue and have fixed it in windows 8.1 because right now the laptop is extremely slow and at times completely unusable. 

My PC:

This issue still isn't solved and I believe it is an issue within windows 8. The hardware has been checked and there is nothing wrong with it. It seems as though the os is doing some strange things with the memory. I am constantly having ram issues even when I only have 3 tabs open to google, I stop all other non os processes and yet it is still saying I have used 4GB of ram plus the 12GB of Virtual memory. I think I just need to hope that Microsoft knows there is an issue and have fixed it in windows 8.1 because right now the laptop is extremely slow and at times completely unusable. 

Your issue it not something we face,

Could it be throttling? There is an issue with some Core i's series CPUs where the aggressive power saving BIOS configuration by OEMs makes the core parks, even under load.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html

Your issue it not something we face,

Could it be throttling? There is an issue with some Core i's series CPUs where the aggressive power saving BIOS configuration by OEMs makes the core parks, even under load.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html

I gave it a shot but sadly it didn't have any effect. I believe it may have something to do with the ram. I constantly have issues with it saying that all 4GB of ram have been filled as well as 14GB of virtual memory, it then closes google chrome (the only thin that is running and only with 3 tabs with only google open. All background programs have been ended). If it is an issue with the ram or how the OS is using the ram on the laptop, it would explain why things are being loaded so slowly. 

I also have these other issues which I believe to be related. Every now and then the screen will just go black as if it had gone to sleep, however I can still see the mouse and most times it will come back a minute later, however some times I need to shut down the computer to get to work. 

Another issue is that it will sometimes shut itself down suddenly, as if it were a desktop and the power plug was pulled. But then it will start back up instantly to the log in page. It take roughly 5-8 seconds. It seems as though it is happening so fast that when it starts back up much of the memory has no be cleared. 

My PC:

Have you tried a clean install yet?  It's been suggested many times.

My old Dell Inspirion 2010 with a Core-i3, 4GB RAM, and a 5400RPM HDD runs Windows 8 just fine.  And I always have like 10+ Chrome tabs open among other things.

A clean install is the easiest way to completely eradicate any possible software issues.

You say all your RAM is being used; have to checked to see what process(es) may be using up all that RAM?  Is it a combination of things or one rogue application?  Go into Resource Monitor and check what processes are using disk activity as well, just to see.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I'd recommend a complete fresh install, laptops come with software that I find pointless, just uses resources.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Yes I have done a clean install and I have checked the processes. The only thing that is taking up large amount of space is chrome(this is blank chrome no extensions or anything). Everything else that is running is OS and not very big in size. 

My PC:

I don't want to scroll through the posts, but do you have a SSD or a HDD.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I don't want to scroll through the posts, but do you have a SSD or a HDD.

Its a HDD however it is running much slower then it should be. My previous laptop runs circles around this laptop which was pretty low end and had a HDD with equal speed. I had an upgrade in CPU, GPU, Size of ram different OS and yet the new one runs much slower.

Here are the full details of my current laptop http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-pc/everyday/NP550P5C-S07AU-spec

My PC:

Well. Im no professjonal. But I do find that any hdd is painfully slow. But if hr compating it to a slower.notebook... it might just be a faulty harddrive

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Windows 7 can open a start menu without using extra software.

awk, windows 8 has a start menu...

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

awk, windows 8 has a start menu...

it just has a different name, window(everything before 8) is called windows shell, windows 8 is callde modern UI

it just has a different name, window(everything before 8) is called windows shell, windows 8 is callde modern UI

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet." ~Shakespeare :D 

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

• 2 weeks later...

So extremely good news. It looks like it was an issue with windows 8 itself. As after updating to 8.1 my laptop is quick and responsive just like it should be for the hardware. Changing between things is near instant now instead of waiting a few minuted. So much better, best thing microsoft has done in years. 

My PC: