Upgrading

Silicone Cake

Hey all,

Looking into upgrading my computer, because it still has an E8400 in it :( I recently threw in a 270, and trust me when I tell you, the bottleneck is real. So anyway, this is what I've come up with:

CPU: AMD 8320 3.5GHz (4.0GHz turbo)

Motherboard: ASRock 980DEF3-U3S3

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb (4gbx2) 1866MHzz Blue

All together this is $321, all parts will be bought from msy.com.au (I'm Australian). So I'm really just seeing if you guys can vouch for the mobo/cpu combo, or suggest something better for the same price. The Ram I really dont want to change, as in Australia this stuff is really cheap, and the reason its 1866 is because 1600 isn't in stock for some reason. I'm not really looking at overclocking, because I know that with any motherboard under 100AUD is just not good enough for it. As long as the motherboard doesn't have a problem with the cpu. Not really interested in an i5 as it will add a good $50 onto the price.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte 270 @ 1270MHz RAM: 6gb @ 667MHz HDD: 500gb 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider 500W

Hey all,

Looking into upgrading my computer, because it still has an E8400 in it :( I recently threw in a 270, and trust me when I tell you, the bottleneck is real. So anyway, this is what I've come up with:

CPU: AMD 8320 3.5GHz (4.0GHz turbo)

Motherboard: ASRock 980DEF3-U3S3

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb (4gbx2) 1866MHzz Blue

All together this is $321, all parts will be bought from msy.com.au (I'm Australian). So I'm really just seeing if you guys can vouch for the mobo/cpu combo, or suggest something better for the same price. The Ram I really dont want to change, as in Australia this stuff is really cheap, and the reason its 1866 is because 1600 isn't in stock for some reason. I'm not really looking at overclocking, because I know that with any motherboard under 100AUD is just not good enough for it. As long as the motherboard doesn't have a problem with the cpu. Not really interested in an i5 as it will add a good $50 onto the price.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Getting an i5, would be the better option. AM3+ is dead, weak cores.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

Getting an i5, would be the better option. AM3+ is dead, weak cores.

Yeah I know, but I will be selling this PC in about a year to a friend anyway, and buying another one. And another $50 is pretty significant for me.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte 270 @ 1270MHz RAM: 6gb @ 667MHz HDD: 500gb 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider 500W

RAM is an overkill. 1866MHz won't seem any different from 1600 or 1333 for that matter as long as CAS is relatively low as well. Everything else should be fine I guess... I'm not a fan of AMD processors and cpu socket also determines your mobo but i guess it's okay - socket works so that's the most important thing here.

RAM is an overkill. 1866MHz won't seem any different from 1600 or 1333 for that matter as long as CAS is relatively low as well. Everything else should be fine I guess... I'm not a fan of AMD processors and cpu socket also determines your mobo but i guess it's okay - socket works so that's the most important thing here.

The 1866 stuff was both cheaper and the only one in stock. Don't even ask, the prices at MSY are retarded.

But yeah it works and for the price nothing can beat it so yeah.