This is killing me, is my motherboard dead? Or it is something else?Plz help...

LouisCell

errr I doubt it.., I'd blow in the pci-e slot to get any the dust out. Worst case scenario is the board is really dead and you'll have to RMA it. Just about all boards come with a 3 year warranty.

So its unlikely to have a bad slot right?

I did uses the duster to clean the slot for several times, and it didn't work:(

Then follows the not booting no matter what problem...

check the cooling on cpu. if you have bad paste on it or something it CAN overheat almost instantaneously and force itself to shut down.
Second thing to check would be all the wires.
Third - PSU.... really think it's PSU, but if it's not - probably motherboard. Also if the motherboard touches your case directly - not just screw points, but like all over - you're likely short circuiting it... If you can't figure out the exact part yourself by doing what I just said you'll likely have to go to a service centre so they check it with actual tools.

check the cooling on cpu. if you have bad paste on it or something it CAN overheat almost instantaneously and force itself to shut down.

Second thing to check would be all the wires.

Third - PSU.... really think it's PSU, but if it's not - probably motherboard. Also if the motherboard touches your case directly - not just screw points, but like all over - you're likely short circuiting it... If you can't figure out the exact part yourself by doing what I just said you'll likely have to go to a service centre so they check it with actual tools.

I used the stock cooler and the cup is never overclocked...I tried to boot up next day and the CPU should be perfectly cooled down

As for the PSU, I tried to swap back to the one that I just took off, and the result was exactly the same. then I assume it shouldn't be PSU. Although I haven't try to examine by circuiting the green and black wire of the PSU

The graphics card in the second slot can't be detected, and the first booting issue starts with using one graphics card in that slot, and then everything isn't working...so its appears that a bad slot destroyed the whole motherboard...

I used the stock cooler and the cup is never overclocked...I tried to boot up next day and the CPU should be perfectly cooled down

As for the PSU, I tried to swap back to the one that I just took off, and the result was exactly the same. then I assume it shouldn't be PSU. Although I haven't try to examine by circuiting the green and black wire of the PSU

The graphics card in the second slot can't be detected, and the first booting issue starts with using one graphics card in that slot, and then everything isn't working...so its appears that a bad slot destroyed the whole motherboard...

It's almost impossible for the entire computer not to work due to one slot.

You used the stock cooler, but did you apply thermal paste on it?

It's almost impossible for the entire computer not to work due to one slot.

You used the stock cooler, but did you apply thermal paste on it?

I see

The thermal paste was pre coated on the stock heatsink... And it has been running perfectly for a whole year until this upgrade

Then it's most likely not it.... (I would recommend cleaning the pre coated one off and putting a new one for future builds though, but it's clearly not the issue here)

yea, your best option right now is probably to check a service centre at this point since it does look like you've tried pretty much all logical simple solutions.

I know these, but I just used the regular screws, and it worked perfectly lol

yeah, theres a 99% chance that when you pushed in your 2 new GTX 970's you moved the motherboard just a little bit and it shorted out on the motherboard tray.....

so you probably killing by your self....

USE STAND OFFS!!!

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

dont you have to actually go out of your way to remove the standoffs in most cases? like, they usually come preinstalled into the case.. they are there for a reason

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Then it's most likely not it.... (I would recommend cleaning the pre coated one off and putting a new one for future builds though, but it's clearly not the issue here)

yea, your best option right now is probably to check a service centre at this point since it does look like you've tried pretty much all logical simple solutions.

Thx, just sent in. Will keep posting so people in the future can take reference from my case

dont you have to actually go out of your way to remove the standoffs in most cases? like, they usually come preinstalled into the case.. they are there for a reason

Not preinstalled in my NZXT phantom 410...

This is kinda a bad habit of mine, its already my 4th build and I never used the standoffs....

yeah, theres a 99% chance that when you pushed in your 2 new GTX 970's you moved the motherboard just a little bit and it shorted out on the motherboard tray.....

so you probably killing by your self....

USE STAND OFFS!!!

Yes sir! Will definitely do in the future!

Not preinstalled in my NZXT phantom 410...

This is kinda a bad habit of mine, its already my 4th build and I never used the standoffs....

weird, i think ive always seen them preinstalled lol but i could be wrong. 

but yea those are there specifically so you dont short your entire motherboard. ALWAYS use them

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I had a similar problem once before double check that the CMOS reset isn't set to the reset mode by accident, consult your manual to check.

Okay guys quick update...the mobo booted smoothly after I put in all the standoffs...lol shame on me

Next I will try and see if I can set up SLI successfully. I really can't imagine how a shorten circuit on mobo can cause one of my graphics card not being detected...

Okay guys quick update...the mobo booted smoothly after I put in all the standoffs...lol shame on me

Next I will try and see if I can set up SLI successfully. I really can't imagine how a shorten circuit on mobo can cause one of my graphics card not being detected...

well in theory it could even cause an illuminati sign to appear on your screen... that's extremely ultra insanly crazy to accomplish through shorting though xDD

So, problem solved! System working nicely and second card is detected, all by putting back the standoffs. It's all because of me not using the motherboard standoff. Its quite a lesson for me...

As for not detecting the second graphic card, I still can't find any clue besides the mobo circuit is causing this problem 

I tired to boot with no graphics card and it still won't work..

The weird point is that the slots died one by one, and in the end it won't even boot with nothing pluged in

How likely is it that my mobo or graphics card being killed by static or something?

ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) is a lot more likely than you pushing the graphics card in too hard. You don't have to feel a shock for it to damage components (80 volts can damage a component, a shock you can feel is around 3,000 volts. Sitting in a chair can generate around 100...) Considering you were on your carpet it could be the culprit.

I'd suggest getting an ESD strap before you decide to fiddle with any more components. It's just a little bracelet you clip to the case or plug into a socket, and they're super cheap.  Another protip is keep your room's humidity around 50%, dry air can cause static buildup. Sorry about your mobo, and I hope this helps prevent any future issues.

So, problem solved! System working nicely and second card is detected, all by putting back the standoffs. It's all because of me not using the motherboard standoff. Its quite a lesson for me...

As for not detecting the second graphic card, I still can't find any clue besides the mobo circuit is causing this problem 

Glad to hear you're up and running now.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64