GTX 980 Reference vs Aftermarket Coolers

Milesgaming
Go to solution Solved by Shaqo_Wyn,

So yeah, pretty much I'm looking to buy a 980. Now, I've found this card http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-038-IN&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1812 which is a reference 980 for around 410 GBP. Could someone please tell me how the noise levels are/performance levels, and what would benefit me if I were to get an aftermarket cooler, such as a twinfrozer, which is 40 GBP more.

Thanks, Miles

The general picture I've drawn from checking out benchmarks is this:

Temps: stock cooler - 80 to 85 degrees under load (chance of throttling), aftermarket coolers - 65 to 75 degrees under load (usually no throttling).

Noise: stock cooler - 45 to 50 dBA, after market coolers - 35 to 40 dBA

If you're fussy about heat and noise and have a good airflow setup in your system an aftermarket cooler is the way to go. But it's not like the stock cooler can't and won't do the job it was designed to do which is keep the GPU's components cool.

So yeah, pretty much I'm looking to buy a 980. Now, I've found this card http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-038-IN&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1812 which is a reference 980 for around 410 GBP. Could someone please tell me how the noise levels are/performance levels, and what would benefit me if I were to get an aftermarket cooler, such as a twinfrozer, which is 40 GBP more.

Thanks, Miles

Thanks, Miles

Temps: stock cooler - 80 to 85 degrees under load (chance of throttling), aftermarket coolers - 65 to 75 degrees under load (usually no throttling).

If you're fussy about heat and noise and have a good airflow setup in your system an aftermarket cooler is the way to go. But it's not like the stock cooler can't and won't do the job it was designed to do which is keep the GPU's components cool.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Another quick question, I've got a 250d M-ITX case, would I be better of with the ref design then, rather than the other open air cooler designs?

Another quick question, I've got a 250d M-ITX case, would I be better of with the ref design then, rather than the other open air cooler designs?

Depends. You'd be fine with an open air cooler if you have some exhaust fans on the side panel. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie.