GTX 970 4gb or 8gb for 1080p? Planned upgrade to 1440p.

Good day to all, I have pre ordered a Galax GTX 970 EX OC just this week to go with my 1080p display and upgrade it to 1440p in the next month or so. However, due to AMD releasing 8gb version of the 290x, Nvidia answered back by launching a 970/ 980 with also 8gb of VRAM.
Now I am a confused consumer, if the 8gb will be worth it at 1080p and 1440p for a year or so OR is it just not that useful in such resolution and just stick to 970 4gb.

My current specs:
i5 4440
r9 270x
4gb hyperX ram (upgrading to 8gb over the weekend)
Seasonic M12II 750w

Thanks in advance!

For 1080p and 1440p, 4GB will be enough

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

For 1080p and 1440p, 4GB will be enough

Is that still true even though modern titles require 6gb of vram as their recommended spec? Thankyou for your reply.

Is that still true even though modern titles require 6gb of vram as their recommended spec? Thankyou for your reply.

They don't...

4GB is fine.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

It relies more on the games you will be playing than the screen.

Modern titles? only couple of games require 6GB lots of games dont come close to 4GB.

If you going to be getting those titles and want to play them on max graphics then obviously it would be wise to go for a 6GB+ card or SLI 970 which both have 4GB

I would go with 4Gb and then get another when you require more 

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

4gb should be fine and if you get those titles like mordor then grab the 8gb one.

pretty much it doesn't come down to needs but to if you want it?

since if just playing games anything more than 750 ti at 1080p is not really needed for the fact that so long as the game works and is playable at lowest setting should be fine.

since you are planning on buying the 970 which is already a want and not a need. go with whichever you want 4gb or 8gb doesn't matter so long as you're happy.

Live your life like a dream.

4gb should be fine and if you get those titles like mordor then grab the 8gb one.

pretty much it doesn't come down to needs but to if you want it?

since if just playing games anything more than 750 ti at 1080p is not really needed for the fact that so long as the game works and is playable at lowest setting should be fine.

since you are planning on buying the 970 which is already a want and not a need. go with whichever you want 4gb or 8gb doesn't matter so long as you're happy.

Hey bro, I live in the PH  to. hehe.

Yep, i think I could agree with you, since i would like to play games at max details even at just 1080p, because I think that what it sets PC gamers apart from console gamers, though I my self owned a PS3 for exclusive titles. 

Modern titles? only couple of games require 6GB lots of games dont come close to 4GB.

If you going to be getting those titles and want to play them on max graphics then obviously it would be wise to go for a 6GB+ card or SLI 970 which both have 4GB

I meant recent modern titles like mordor and ac unity. sorry.

I guess I'll have to wait whether the price difference is big between the 4gb and 8gb version of 970. Thanks!

The vram doesn't stack up when gpu are in sli. they share their linked memory frequency.