Is threre a danger with 6pin-8pin adapters?

soulguitarist
Go to solution Solved by Maverik5124,

pci-e slot: 75w

6 pin: 75w

8 pin: 150w

I don't approve of 6 to 8 pin adapters

Yes this is the atx specification. But the specification for the connectors themselves are way higher so there should not be a problem when using an adapter. I think this kind of sucks though because if they would just use the specifications by the manufacturer of the connectors then we could get away with using just one connector on most graphic cards

Hay there,

A few days ago I purchased myself a 2008 Mac Pro (as in the tower form factor). I know this will mac me very unpopular on here already but it was £470 for a 2x quadcore machine clocked at 3 Ghz, 4 Gb of FB-RAM (needs upgrading) and 3x ATI 2600xt for the GPUs, which is where my problem lyes. I do a fair amount of video editing, and also plenty of gaming in BootCamp, and these 3 2600s just arn't cutting it. For this reason I'm hoping to jump straight to the nvidia 700 series (770) as soon as OSx 10.8 gets the driver support. But my main worry is, the Mac Pro only has 2x 6 pins (on the mobo) where as the 700 series require a 6+8 pin configuration. Basically what I'm asking is I'm I likely to overload anything in my Mac trying to run a 770 with an 8 pin adaptor.

Thanks for your help!

it depends on the psu if it is strong enough to power it

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

It's the apple standerd psu, it allots 300w for the 2x 6 pins + the 2x pci-e 4x slots and the 2x pic-e 16x slots

It depends on the PSU you have. Check how much power the 12V rail has & the total wattage of the unit.

You won't have any problem using a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter if the power supply is capable.

It depends on the PSU you have. Check how much power the 12V rail has & the total wattage of the unit.

You won't have any problem using a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter if the power supply is capable.

If I am not mistaken, the 770 pulls 225 or so watts, and the apple power supply allots 300w for lci-e slots plus the two 6 pins, I'm assuming this is within the realm of ok? thanks very much for your help and the speedy response!

If I am not mistaken, the 770 pulls 225 or so watts, and the apple power supply allots 300w for lci-e slots plus the two 6 pins, I'm assuming this is within the realm of ok? thanks very much for your help and the speedy response!

Yes that's fine.

Really, this is more interesting to me as your a ranked as a senior member, so how come?

Thanks

Really, this is more interesting to me as your a ranked as a senior member, so how come?

Thanks

Pay no attention to the ranking thing

I don't trust them on principal. If a psu is capable of supporting a device it will have the correct connections imo.

Yes this is the atx specification. But the specification for the connectors themselves are way higher so there should not be a problem when using an adapter. I think this kind of sucks though because if they would just use the specifications by the manufacturer of the connectors then we could get away with using just one connector on most graphic cards

Pay no attention to the ranking thing

I don't trust them on principal. If a psu is capable of supporting a device it will have the correct connections imo.

Yes that's fine.

Thank You all very much for your help, it won't matter for a while now because I have come to the conclusion that I don't need a card that beefy, so as a teen, it had to the price to performance ratio of the 650 Ti.

Thanks again!