TN or IPS for GAMING

Rex Aevum

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/acer-k272hul-p20417/test.html

It's not the fastest display but it's nice for the price.

There are better displays albeit quite a bit pricer: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-u2713hm

I looked at different monitors and the acer option is really nice, but what are you're thoughts on BenQ bl2710pt vs. BenQ gw2765ht. I'm fine with paying a +100$ if the two mentioned monitors are better than the acer, but if wouldnt see the difference, then the acer would do and I would just get a vesa mount.

Try it out for yourself, i personally jumped to TN from IPS. Not all TNs are shit. The good ones like BenQ XL2420Z have very decent color reproduction and don't suffer as badly as other cheap TNs.

I suggest getting a second hand TN panel to try out to see if you can feel the difference between 60 and 120hz before buying new panels.

Ask yourself what kind of gamer you are and what is important to you?

Is it really important to you to be the absolute best you can be in competitive gaming. To have the screen refresh every 8.33ms rather than every 16.67ms... Are you the kind of gamer who turns down graphics in order to get very high framerates. Do you need to be right up on that CS or BF4 leaderboard. In that case get a high refresh rate TN panel.

Or

Are you the kind of gamer who plays games for the sense of exploration and wonder, to enjoy fictional worlds with maxed out settings. Do you enjoy taking pretty screenshots etc.. In that case you want beautiful images on an IPS panel.

I looked at different monitors and the acer option is really nice, but what are you're thoughts on BenQ bl2710pt vs. BenQ gw2765ht. I'm fine with paying a +100$ if the two mentioned monitors are better than the acer, but if wouldnt see the difference, then the acer would do and I would just get a visa mount.

Get the Dell if you're going to spend more. Otherwise, stick with the Acer. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

asking should I get a TN or an IPS is like asking "I want a car that goes fast, should I get a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder?" - what if you compare a ford ranger to a misubishi evo?

There are many MANY more considerable variables to consider that will affect the experience you will have with a particular monitor...

• resolution - the higher the better - end of story (higher means more powerful pc required)
  • pixel density - higher = better visuals but smaller hud/windows environment
  • refresh rate - higher = smoother gameplay, critical for twitch shooters
  • response time - if your picture is great but takes 65ms to update after a signal is fed to it its going to make you vomit, and worse will make you miss your targets in games
  • pixel response time - TN generally do this better, if the pixels take too long to turn on the image will be washed for a frame and if they take too long to turn off it will ghost
  • backlight strobe method - if the backlight strobes out of sync with the refresh rate you will get scan lines, if the backlight is constantly on you will get ghosting, if it pulses on/off at less than 60hz you can get headaches
  • colour representation - IPS GENERALLY do this better than TN but examples from both camps can be worse or better than the other. but, can you personally tell how off the colours are? or do you need a machine with a sensor to tell you its not correct?
  • contrast - IPS generally better at this however its usually the newer and "higher grade" the panel the better this is, a 6 year old IPS is going to be worse than a 1 year old TN hands down
  • uniformity - is the panel produced with high-yield / low-quality control?? will the bottom right of the screen be 25% brighter than the middle? will the screen be cloudy? only money and a quality panel/brand can fix this - LG generally bad, Apple generally good.
  • screen coating material - glass will look horrid in a bright room and you may see your reflection (this may be more horrifying than Alien: isolation, depending on your face) - matt finish will make the colours less "bold" and causes bright colours or white to be grainy
  • stand adjustability / durability - no good if the screen wobbles as you move your mouse left and right to make that snap shot...

TLDR;

read good reviews that accurately asses with independent external measurement devices the above attributes and then decide what you care about the most - regardless of panel type. p.s: there are like 4 different types of IPS...

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.