Linus' consistent failure

filipcro

Wear headphones. Don't be a vagina. Life lessons. 

But linus doesnt actually always let us know how good the noise isolation is on the headphones/headsets he reviews.

Redliquid~

>install a pc in a case

>blow smoke into it

>record video

>???

>add to video

>profit

wai not?

If they did, this thread would be about how big dumb Linus is trying to do a test like that in a kitchen instead of a closed, controlled environment. And that would be a pretty good point.

For those  saying TURN UP THE SOUND!!!, some of us like to sit there comfortably while we work and prefer not having any audible sounds.

For example, my Node 804 was WAY too loud due to being constrained. Switched to the Corsair 780T and that is nearly silent with a H110i, 5960X OCed to 4.4 GHz and a Titan Z.

Unless the case is marketed as quite or silent, assume it makes regular case noise. If you need silence, you don't need to worry about the case so much as the fans and coolers. The case itself has very little to do with sound dampening unless specifically noted (or it's a test bench/open case then duh it's going to be louder) and if you really need it to be silent then put some foam in it or spray the chassis with rhino liner. 

I can see reasons for not doing this, due to the amount of variable cases possible. But it would be nice if they did this for cases, I mean if they were to get typical fans etc and do a test I'd appreciate it.

Case noise cancellation is not that big of an issue... the internal hardware is the deciding factor. And how would you accurately measure noise cancellation in a way that would apply to all the viewers? Not everyone uses the same internals. It would be nice if LMG could create a benchmark test for it though, like using a certain set of internal hardware in all the cases they review and measure the decibel output... but I'm sure it wouldn't be very practical for all viewers. I could be wrong though.

Wear headphones. Don't be a vagina. Life lessons. 

post-104353-0-74721300-1414872271.jpg

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Or I hear that the Fractal Define R4 can be decent for keeping things relatively quiet. 

Actually, it looks like Silverstone FT05 is the next king in the silence/cooling ratio, especially if you have Asus' Fan Xpert II.

Do they have a rule to never talk about the noise output or noise cancellation of any of the products??

They fail to mention such properties even with cases, which is one of the main features people look for when selecting cases!

And they don't even mention it!

Ever! With any case!

I'm kinda sick of this consistent omission already.

because, size/window or no window/color/aircooling or liquid cooling optimized/storage capacity/etc is something nobody cares about when selecting a case?

an empty case doesn't make noise , only thing in a case that makes noise are fans, the more fans in a case, the more noise. and everybody ads or takes away fans to their own needs, there is no way making a test that's anything close to what most people would do....

and for the record, they say with most graphics cards if they are loud or not.

now, anything else you wanna bitch about?

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

It also differs if you put it on the floor or not - so...

So many things I could write here... things like this.

This is an ignorant post, there are so many variables.

Fans

Fan Speeds

Hard Drive Vibrations

Graphics Cards

Case Design

Virtually any case can be silent, just some are more "optimized" than others. The Fractal Define R4 for instance has sound-proofing throughout the case and is designed to be silent.