Storage solutions for a laptop

Transon
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Hello, whilst browsing for a new laptop (non gaming purposes). I had this sudden urge to buy and insert an SSD into it. Problem is though, I dont know how to check or find out if the laptop supports this, how do I find out?

Looking at Acer Aspire E5-511.

Hey Transon,

Your laptop should run any 2.5 inch SSD without any problems so, by all means, go for it. 
I could suggest checking out WD Black2 as a dual drive for your laptop. It combines a 120GB SSD with a 1TB HDD in one 2.5 inch enclosure. The advantage of a dual drive over a SSHD is that you have much more SSD space (basically a whole different drive) and you have the choice where to store your data, rather than leaving the drive to decide what to store on the SSD. Here's a link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190#Tab2

Otherwise, I would ask the guys here in the forum to recommend a good SSD, depending on your size, price and manufacturer preferences :)

Captain_WD.

Hello, whilst browsing for a new laptop (non gaming purposes). I had this sudden urge to buy and insert an SSD into it. Problem is though, I dont know how to check or find out if the laptop supports this, how do I find out?

there must be something realy wierd going on with a laptop if it doesnt support a ssd

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Unless its one of those crazily thin laptops then it should have a 2.5" hard drive slot, meaning that an SSD will fit.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Oh, okay I just noticed that some laptop had spesifics mentioning mSata, eMMC and M.2 sockets or something like that.

Hey Transon,

Your laptop should run any 2.5 inch SSD without any problems so, by all means, go for it. 
I could suggest checking out WD Black2 as a dual drive for your laptop. It combines a 120GB SSD with a 1TB HDD in one 2.5 inch enclosure. The advantage of a dual drive over a SSHD is that you have much more SSD space (basically a whole different drive) and you have the choice where to store your data, rather than leaving the drive to decide what to store on the SSD. Here's a link: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190#Tab2

Otherwise, I would ask the guys here in the forum to recommend a good SSD, depending on your size, price and manufacturer preferences :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/