Finally, a CAD Rig

Well, it's finally the time to put the cash up for buying a new CAD rig... but, I'm after a little check over the parts selected & maybe a few ideas on some little bits. (sorry for the obligatory wall of text I tend to do)

The main usage is going to be 3D CAD software - primarily SolidWorks, but I'm able to get Inventor from work, so I'll probably have that on it as well. Games are probably going to be kept away for the most part, but I need to fix this gaming rig, so there will be some on it for a little while.

Space is limited, so I already bought a 250D case with the aim of installing the new ASUS Impact VII and a 4790K. The graphics will be handled by a Quadro K4200 (refreshed K4000) - after speaking with an Nvidia rep, running it at PCIe x8 should be OK - hence the M.2 in the parts list...

Current plan is: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/xXDeltaXx/saved/c8xTwP

Main queries:

CPU cooler - CM Glacer 240L SHOULD fit in the 250D according to some sites, but after checking on the CM Nepton 240M, I cannot see the Glacer on CM's website... So, Glacer / Nepton / something else?

RAM - not a clue on RAM TBH; 2x 8GB sticks is all that I know I'm after...

Storage - 2x HDDs in RAID 1 for bulk / long term storage, 1x SSD for programs / files I need fast etc, 1x M.2 for the OS and a few programs... or if performance really sucks at PCIe x8, the SSD will have the OS, and the M.2 will have to go. Not sure on the SSD or the M.2 drive.

PSU - probably overkill, may look for a Corsair RM450...?

Peripherals:

Keyboard - not sure, I want to go to a mechanical one, and from the way I smash the keys on this thing, I'm wondering about Green switches (I've got a little sampler thing and they seem OK). Greens limit the market, so maybe the CM Storm...

Mouse - I'm using a RAT7 at the moment & I've got used to it / like it... but the main switches suck & develop a double click over time, so I don't know if I'm willing to give them another try. But, nothing I've seen so far grabs my attention...

Headset - I was thinking the Func HS-260, but then Linus reviewed the HyperX Cloud & I kind of like it.

Monitors - I am after 2x 27" 1440p IPS panels, preferably matte... the ASUS ones are good, but expensive. I know Logan uses some cheap Korean ones, but not sure of whether they are the best way to go...

Thanks for reading. If you made it through the lot, have a cookie :)

Apple, Piss Off! ~ Linus 2014

No, you're not hallucinating, or maybe you are... either way, I'm back. ~ Linus 2015

let me check something out. gonna edit this. you were uk >.< was thinking usd so sorry about that but hey here is something I pointed out.

this is similar to what you put except I change the cpu to a xeon. I'm fond of xeon actually but hey it's your trigger.

rest are pretty good I can vouch for the asus monitor :).

seasonic psu is good too there are cheaper but hey I'm sold on the reliability of seasonic which has proven to me time and time again they do work.

btw I use the same monitor as you but I'm using 3 of them. they work wonders for the price bro. although the 10bit one would be more awesome sadly I didn't have a note worthy hardware to match it. been wanting a heavy quadro too but not if i have to pay same price as duty/tax and other unknown charges like I had to with a titan black few months back.

well you can have 2 ssd if you want but I'm just wondering is it like this.

12xgb for os.

24x-25x for for all your programs?

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Glacer 240L 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£193.77 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£166.94 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£133.22 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Crucial M550 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£65.94 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£139.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital  3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£123.96 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Western Digital  3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£123.96 @ CCL Computers) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (£79.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  (£405.58 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  (£405.58 @ Amazon UK) 
Other: Corsair 250D Case - Already Purchased (Purchased)
Other: Quadro K4200 (£780.59)
Total: £2921.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-26 00:50 BST+0100

note: I love builds like this. kinda tired of seeing gaming builds and hopefully no gaming bloke post a gaming build here lol. saw one before for a totally non gaming build but work stuff build some idiot before was going with like go 560ti it's the best. yada yada.

Live your life like a dream.

Cheers man, the last full build I did was many many years ago, this one got an update a few years back when the motherboard got too broken, but I replaced it like for like - it's a socket 775 rig with a GTX470... so, yeah, not had much contact with new hardware for many years.

I was deliberating about the Xeon vs the I7... The I7 is supported on the Impact VII and the Xeon isn't. JJ had said that it would physically work, but the board doesn't support ECC RAM, and that is the main reason people go with a Xeon - hence sticking with the I7.

The SSD and the M.2 SSD were basically picked due to 5 star feedback... I don't know if the M.2 will stay; depends if the Quadro gets issues from only running on an x8 connection (will have to test). If it all works out, then great, I get better storage options. If not, then I'll just have the SSD. So, yes, I probably need a bigger SSD. I am wondering about a bigger M.2 SSD as well, on the hope that the Nvidia rep was correct...

Apple, Piss Off! ~ Linus 2014

No, you're not hallucinating, or maybe you are... either way, I'm back. ~ Linus 2015