Overclocked i7 3770k vs overclocked i7 4770k?

Herro Everyone!  

I was looking to upgrade to a Haswell i7 4770k, but after getting news that they don't overclock very well (Get really hot) i was wondering if you could overclock an ivy bridge i7 3770k to match or surpass an overclocked 4770k. Currently i have an h100i so i wouldn't need to spend money on a cooler. What do you guys think?

keep in mind that if i buy a haswell chip I will still be overclocking. I just wanna know if you guys think you can overclock an ivy bridge i7, so that it gives more performance than an overclocked haswell i7. 

If there is already a thread about this i apologize, i couldn't find it.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

I think this is becoming a popular misconception haswell overclocks very well and is very stable at high clocks but as you say it does generate a lot of heat when running at high clocks. This doesn't mean it's bad at overclocking it means it needs a better than average cooling solution.

Ivybridge chips got very hot too till people started de lidding them, Haswell chip will be as fast at 4.6 as Ivy was at 4.8 seems to be the opinion so far but it is very early to be certain. Sandybridge chips do not get anywhere near as hot in my experience but get a lot more flaky as clocks rise.

First thing to keep in mind is that there is absolutely NO GUARANTEE of overclockability with any processor. ZERO. You could get a Haswell chip that won't go above 4.2 GHz or an Ivy Bridge that can hit 5GHz, or it could go the other way. 

It comes down, entirely, to luck of the draw. you have to decide which CPU best suits what you want to do with it, and then cross your fingers and hope for the best results.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

First thing to keep in mind is that there is absolutely NO GUARANTEE of overclockability with any processor. ZERO. You could get a Haswell chip that won't go above 4.2 GHz or an Ivy Bridge that can hit 5GHz, or it could go the other way. 

It comes down, entirely, to luck of the draw. you have to decide which CPU best suits what you want to do with it, and then cross your fingers and hope for the best results.

You are correct about not being able to guarantee an overclock but you would be very unlucky to get a haswell chip that couldn't go .3ghz over its boost clock but definitely nothing guaranteed :)

I did hear from tek syndicate that they are incredibly stable at incredibly high temps (80-90 degrees).

I'll probably just upgrade to Haswell seeing as i already have an h100i.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

I did hear from tek syndicate that they are incredibly stable at incredibly high temps (80-90 degrees).

I'll probably just upgrade to Haswell seeing as i already have an h100i.

That's because of it's rigorous thermal throttling.

Regardless, you shouldn't even be thinking of upgrading a 3770K to a 4770K, unless you like wasting money.  You'll likely see no improvements outside of benchmarks.

I really think only people with Nehalem procs or older should be upgrading to Haswell.  Or people building their first build.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Regardless, you shouldn't even be thinking of upgrading a 3770K to a 4770K, unless you like wasting money.  You'll likely see no improvements outside of benchmarks.

I really think only people with Nehalem procs or older should be upgrading to Haswell.  Or people building their first build.

I currently have an fx-6300 overclocked to 4.5 ghz. It's pretty quick when overclocked, but nonetheless i just wanna upgrade. I wanted to see if it was worth getting the 3570k rather than the 4770k.

I really want to get an fx-8350 (Because i love AMD's vibe) But the super sexy asus tuf motherboard is only for intel. 

In a review I read they put a 4.5ghz 4770k against a 4.8ghz 3770k and the 3770 won.

The Haswells are poor clockers so the Ivys usually over take them eventually.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

In a review I read they put a 4.5ghz 4770k against a 4.8ghz 3770k and the 3770 won.

Oh DIP! Thats what i wanted to hear!

Would like to see that result mate because in almost every test i saw, once you OC the 4770k it beats the 3770k, TTL even did a cinebench 4.6 ghz Haswell and a 4.8 ivy bridge and ivy lost by 0.5 points, that is a huge margin in cinebench test he did...

Oh DIP! Thats what i wanted to hear!

dude don't go rushing already, a lot of people here understand that heat is a problem, but understand that the 4770k is same as 3770k but up to 10% extra performance.

The new chipset finally gives intel all sata 3 ports instead of just 2 of the intel controller, there is more to a CPU than overclocking... the platform in general is improved, would not suggest to go to the old stuff, since it offers less

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

I currently have an fx-6300 overclocked to 4.5 ghz. It's pretty quick when overclocked, but nonetheless i just wanna upgrade. I wanted to see if it was worth getting the 3570k rather than the 4770k.

I really want to get an fx-8350 (Because i love AMD's vibe) But the super sexy asus tuf motherboard is only for intel. 

If your price range is around 300$ your only choice is intel. Personally I would just wait a while for the Haswell buzz to die down. theres really no way to tell whats the truth about their overclocking/heat/performance yet. 

The advantage of getting a 4770k over a 3770k right now is that you can upgrade it when the next gen cpus come out without changing the mobo because they will be on the same socket. 

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Would like to see that result mate because in almost every test i saw, once you OC the 4770k it beats the 3770k, TTL even did a cinebench 4.6 ghz Haswell and a 4.8 ivy bridge and ivy lost by 0.5 points, that is a huge margin in cinebench test he did...

I don't trust anything TTL does. Clock per clock Haswell is faster. That's obvious. However, in the real world with real chips people are buying the Ivy will clock higher than the Haswell offsetting the performance increase.

TTL's results ALWAYS differ to those found in any other review anywhere on the internet. I trust Bit-tech.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Haswell/Ivy actually overclock very well, sure the TIM over solder is a disadvantage to some overclockers, but the ability to delid is excellent for any enthusiast overclocker.

Sandy was just a absolute freak overclocker.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Haswell has more IPC and preforms better than Ivy even when down 200mhz (Cinebench). Its really a no brainer if you're looking to build a new high-end system. TTL at OC3D did a comparison in Cinebench between the two so you can go check it out for yourself.

I don't trust anything TTL does. Clock per clock Haswell is faster. That's obvious. However, in the real world with real chips people are buying the Ivy will clock higher than the Haswell offsetting the performance increase.

TTL's results ALWAYS differ to those found in any other review anywhere on the internet. I trust Bit-tech.

I don't get why don't you trust him since he did that in real time, in his video, Bit-tech is good and i do not question anything they make.

The 3770k and 4770k are not that different i can say that much, but overall you get a better platform with a z87 chipset, more features, and if you set your overclocking mode to adapt itself to a situation, you can save a lot more cash on power, and it can actually give you same level performance with less heat vs Ivy ( by that i mean: if you have a 4.4 ghz OC on an Ivy you can just give your haswell 4,2 and it will run the same or potentially better, and you don't have to up your voltage to an insane level, so your cpu will run cooler, that for me is a great thing, since power is not really cheap where i live, and right now in my country a 4770k costs 5-10$ less than a 3770k )

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)