Possibly dead video card due to monitor overclocking?

losinator501

So today I decided I wanted to overclock my monitor a slight bit to see if it would make a difference.

I went from 60Hz to 65Hz using this thing: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

It asked for a reboot afterwards, so I did. When I booted up, the resolution was tiny (640x480) and BSODed a few seconds after hitting the welcome screen. Something clicks (presumably video card) every time it BSODs and boots up.

I tried to boot into safe mode, and that worked. However, I don't know what to do from here. Any help?

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 | AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.9GHz | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 & Club3D 7950 RoyalKing in the same rig. such dogecoin miningz | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz | Corsair H70 | Antec P280 White Windowed | Asus Xonar DG | Samson SR-850 | Blue Yeti

What video card do you have? The program should only be messing with the monitor, and not your card anyways.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What video card do you have? The program should only be messing with the monitor, and not your card anyways.

Yea that's what I was thinking.

Also have you tried going back to the stock settings and seeing if you still have the issues?

Also download Nirsoft BlueScreenView and post the memory dumps, that should give the cause of the bluescreens

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

If you have an NVIDIA card, use NVIDIA's integrated solution in the drivers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I have a 6870, it's in my signature. sorry, forgot that signatures can be disabled.

Yea that's what I was thinking.

Also have you tried going back to the stock settings and seeing if you still have the issues?

Also download Nirsoft BlueScreenView and post the memory dumps, that should give the cause of the bluescreens

How would I revert to the stock settings? I cant use that program since it can't find a display (in safe mode, so that might be the problem)

I'll try the bluescreen viewer.

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 | AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.9GHz | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 & Club3D 7950 RoyalKing in the same rig. such dogecoin miningz | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz | Corsair H70 | Antec P280 White Windowed | Asus Xonar DG | Samson SR-850 | Blue Yeti

if you spam F8 you should see this screen

disabledriversignatureevs7.jpg

boot at 640x480 and see if that helps.

if it doesn't then boot with safe mode and then do a system restore to a time before you installed that program.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

At the moment, I am running off integrated video. I have removed my graphics card. exact same problems occur. Occasionally I can get into the os normally, but it still locks up and bsods with the same error. Still a click when it bsods and boots

System restore did not work.

System restore did not work.

Do you have another computer that you can put the 6870 into?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Do you have another computer that you can put the 6870 into?

Not exactly. It'd be a pain, it's full of dust and crap cabling.

I don't think it's the card as the exact same thing happens on integrated graphics.

At some point in the bsod viewer it said something about Rt64win7.sys and on another BSOD AtihdW76.sys. RT64 looks to be a LAN driver, and Atihd a audio over HDMI driver.

I tried uninstalling the AMD drivers, but no luck. Still the exact same thing. 640x480 bootup does not help.

I cannot install the AMD drivers anymore because it won't let me from safe mode. Don't have much experience with safe mode, not sure if that's supposed to happen.

Not exactly. It'd be a pain, it's full of dust and crap cabling.

I don't think it's the card as the exact same thing happens on integrated graphics.

At some point in the bsod viewer it said something about Rt64win7.sys and on another BSOD AtihdW76.sys. RT64 looks to be a LAN driver, and Atihd a audio over HDMI driver.

I tried uninstalling the AMD drivers, but no luck. Still the exact same thing. 640x480 bootup does not help.

I cannot install the AMD drivers anymore because it won't let me from safe mode. Don't have much experience with safe mode, not sure if that's supposed to happen.

In that case I don't know, might be the board or something lol

In that case I don't know, might be the board or something lol

That's the thing though, how would overclocking the monitor get to the board lol it has no correlation

You got quite an issue on your hands.

Can you remove that custom resolution program from safe mode.?

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

That's the thing though, how would overclocking the monitor get to the board lol it has no correlation

Weird things happen. If you get the issue fixed, I'd avoid using the program again.

overclocking monitor means you are also overclocking video output on your graphics card (you overclock your dvi frequency ) i did it ,i managed to get my refresh rate 70 then it did go down to 65 nothing happened to me but i didnt run it more than a week on my 7850(using 12.10 whql)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

overclocking monitor means you are also overclocking video output on your graphics card (you overclock your dvi frequency ) i did it ,i managed to get my refresh rate 70 then it did go down to 65 nothing happened to me but i didnt run it more than a week on my 7850(using 12.10 whql)

While the DVI is working faster, overclocking your monitor is no different than not running Vsync in terms of information being sent over the cable. Otherwise, we wouldn't have tearing.

I feel that it may be corrupt drivers, although I don't see how that explains the clicking.

I'll do a fresh install and see how it does. If it's still broke, as good a reason as any to upgrade ;)