Need laptop for friend, trying to convert to PC gamer

My friend needs a new laptop for school, his current one is pretty out of date.

He would like to be able to game with it. 

Also he is a big console gamer but is willing to make a push for PC gaming, so I decided this was my opportunity to help him.

I found this: http://www.ncix.com/detail/acer-v5-473g-6814-intel-i5-4200u-8gb-ee-92011.htm

Can you guys help me help him find something comparable/better to this, or am I not going to do better?

Also budget is a concern, but performance only needs to be on par with consoles or slightly better.

Laptop must be no more than 1000$, but less is better.

Thanks for the help!

does it have to be a laptop i mean if you are wanting to be a pc gamer i wouldn't recommend playing on a laptop but that's just my opinion i know a lot of people do but it can cost a lot more

does it have to be a laptop i mean if you are wanting to be a pc gamer i wouldn't recommend playing on a laptop but that's just my opinion i know a lot of people do but i can cost a lot more

he needs it for school too

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

yeah i use my PC for school 

oh, i think he meant bring it to school, for notes and stuff. but he might not have..

can you clarify @Tungsten_Hue

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

another option there is just get a reasonably good cheap laptop and get him to build a PC with the rest of the money

Yes it needs to be a laptop, we both commute to university, and his old laptop is at its last.

Edit: Laptop will be used at school for reports, labs and such.

possibly get a cheap laptop / ultrabook / tablet for school and build a desktop unless you guys go to others houses for games all the time

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

He asked me about a laptop, that's as far as I went, I will have to ask him tomorrow at work whether or not he would consider a desktop/laptop combo.

Edit: no, he wants a laptop for gaming on the go.