What GPU Do I Need?

OneManArmy

I am in the market for a new GPU (I would use for gaming) and wanted to see all of your suggestions, has to be under $600, 2GB GDDR5 or more, and can be any length. Also if it should be reference or non-reference. I don't plan on doing any liquid cooling, but i do plan on overclocking. 

Please no spam or trolling, THANKS!

Nvidia for sure... just better performance (970/980)

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Right now I think many would say NVIDIA because of their new cards, but for me AMD, because.............

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

I am in the market for a new GPU and wanted to see all of your suggestions, has to be under $600, 2GB GDDR5 or more, and can be any length. and if you have no suggestions, tell me which you would choose, AMD cards or NVIDIA cards, and why? THANKS!

Better not to think of this as AMD versus Nvidia, but rather what the best product is that meets your needs. And as of right now that is certainly a GTX 980.

Better not to think of this as AMD versus Nvidia, but rather what the best product is that meets your needs. And as of right now that is certainly a GTX 980.

a reference or non-reference, i don't plan on water cooling, but i do plan on overclocking if i get that card.

At this current point 970/980 are definitely worth it, 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

a reference or non-reference, i don't plan on water cooling, but i do plan on overclocking if i get that card.

Its not urgently necessary, since the 980 is surprisingly efficient and cool enough to do fine with a reference cooler, but I'd still prefer to get one with a non-reference cooler. Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI are my favorites, but of course there's many more that are perfectly fine.

Recently I have used: (price when purchased in AUD) (sold second hand for)

GTX770 Windforce ($499) ($300)
R9 290 MSI Twin Frozor ($449) ($300)
crossfire R9 290 ($449+$300) ($600)
GTX980 G1 Gaming ($839) (n/a)

obviously the gtx980 is the best of the lot, cooler, quieter and more powerful than all except the crossfire r9 290's - but I had compatibility issues with crossfire, too much heat and too much noise for the difference to be worth it (about 20-30%)

in games:

The GTX770 was adequate high/ultra settings @ 1080

The r9 290 was ideal for ultra settings @ 1080

The crossfire setup was ideal for ultra settings @ 4k

The GTX980 is adequate for ultra settings @ 4k and ideal for high/v.high settings @ 4k

In all honesty though a $150 GTX750ti will play anything... it depends on how much you are willing to compromise on visuals and resolution / frame rates - achieving very high standards of both will hurt your wallet.

If you have the motherboard, PSU and case space and only play games that 100% work with SLI/crossfire then go for SLI GTX970's for the best bang for buck currently (without extreme thermals/noise)

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.