SSD slowed down a bit

sgtcool

i have a 840 EVO 128 gb (only 111gb avalible for storage) and 25gb free space left

Booting up takese about 4 seconds more and opening of windows explorer, browser etc.

and the Welcome screen now shows for about 1.5 sec

win 8.1 pro

and it is connected into SATA express 10 gb/s

also i have a seagate 1 tb harddrive

any way to put it back to normal speed?

its still pretty fast than a HDD

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Have you updated to the most recent firmware?

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

The most recent firmware update fixed this issue. Which came out yesterday. Great timing for this question. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

i have a 840 EVO 128 gb (only 111gb avalible for storage) and 25gb free space left

Booting up takese about 4 seconds more and opening of windows explorer, browser etc.

and the Welcome screen now shows for about 1.5 sec

win 8.1 pro

and it is connected into SATA express 10 gb/s

also i have a seagate 1 tb harddrive

any way to put it back to normal speed?

its still pretty fast than a HDD

clone the drive or at least back up your data and do the update. Put it in the Sata 6Gb port and see if its faster there

The most recent firmware update fixed this issue. Which came out yesterday. Great timing for this question. 

where can i download it?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

yup that actually made a difference for me ,boot now takes 4 seconds instead of 6 with old fw and my startup apps launch noticeably faster 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Takes 4 seconds more than what? Since you bought it? Since you have increased the data written?

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

clone the drive or at least back up your data and do the update. Put it in the Sata 6Gb port and see if its faster there

How would that even remotely make sense if it is currently connected to 10Gb? I could be missing something here with SATA Express compatibility with 840 EVO but do explain how that would matter.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Takes 4 seconds more than what? Since you bought it? Since you have increased the data written?

since i bought it abviously

so youre telling the update can erase or corrupt data on the SSD?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

well it didnt for me but it but update warns about it so it could happen

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It CAN as can any firmware update on any pc component. It's standard. If the firmware update fails it can usually just roll back however if the firmware update fails due to sudden power out then you will have a useless SSD yes. The risk is very low though

anyway where can i update the firmware?

and how can i back it up?

(never done it before)

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

well it didnt for me but it but update warns about it so it could happen

It CAN as can any firmware update on any pc component. It's standard. If the firmware update fails it can usually just roll back however if the firmware update fails due to sudden power out then you will have a useless SSD yes. The risk is very low though

how can i back it up?

i have the magician software it says i already have the latest firmware EXT0BB6Q

should i just use "performance optimization"?

or "OS optimization"?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The Samsung 840 Evo line has encountered a software bug that causes what many are calling 'voltage drift' which slows performance of files that were written more then 3-4 weeks ago. This voltage drift is essentially making the drive constantly run error correction algorithms instead of automatically compensating like it should. Because of this error correction which takes time, speeds are slowing down to as low as the 50-100MBps range.

Luckily Samsung has a fix for this, as of a day or two ago, in the form of a new firmware along with a tool the does some repairs to the drive. This tool is available from Samsung HERE. You want to download the 'Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software'.

This firmware IS NOT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE MAGICIAN SOFTWARE. You have to use this specialized tool as there is more going on here then just a firmware update. You can read more about what happens during this at PC Perspective.

However, you should definitely backup the drive first, as a precaution. Either clone the drive to another drive temporarily, use Windows built in backup system to make an image of the drive, that way if something goes wrong you can just clone back to the drive, or restore the image.

The Samsung 840 Evo line has encountered a software bug that causes what many are calling 'voltage drift' which slows performance of files that were written more then 3-4 weeks ago. This voltage drift is essentially making the drive constantly run error correction algorithms instead of automatically compensating like it should. Because of this error correction which takes time, speeds are slowing down to as low as the 50-100MBps range.

Luckily Samsung has a fix for this, as of a day or two ago, in the form of a new firmware along with a tool the does some repairs to the drive. This tool is available from Samsung HERE. You want to download the 'Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software'.

This firmware IS NOT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE MAGICIAN SOFTWARE. You have to use this specialized tool as there is more going on here then just a firmware update. You can read more about what happens during this at PC Perspective.

However, you should definitely backup the drive first, as a precaution. Either clone the drive to another drive temporarily, use Windows built in backup system to make an image of the drive, that way if something goes wrong you can just clone back to the drive, or restore the image.

thanks finally someone!

so how can i back it up? system restore? (i know how to system restore, but youd have to come into windows first, to restore it if it fails , SSD is my boot drive)

i more question: i have it plugged in SATA express 10 gb/s and in magician it shows its in SATA 6 gb/s, any ideas?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

well i did it on both my evos and it worked out, but safe is safe, you never know

thanks finally someone!

so how can i back it up? system restore? (i know how to system restore, but youd have to come into windows first, to restore it if it fails , SSD is my boot drive)

i more question: i have it plugged in SATA express 10 gb/s and in magician it shows its in SATA 6 gb/s, any ideas?

For backup I would recommend 1 of 2 options. 

1. Use a bootdisk like that available from Acronis to copy the entire SSD to a hard drive temporarily.

2. Go to Control Panel>File History>System Image Backup, and use that to create a system image on another hard drive.

While you probably won't have anything go wrong, there is the possibility and these options will save you as you can just restore to the drive then. The PC Perspective article I linked above updated 5 or 6 drives and 1 of them completely corrupted the MFT, which means that everything on the drive was essentially lost.

As for why the Samsung Magician software is reading that its at 6GB/s instead of the 10GB/s port it's plugged into is very simple. The 840 Evo line does not support SATA express, the fastest connection the drive itself is capable of making is 6GB/s.

For backup I would recommend 1 of 2 options. 

1. Use a bootdisk like that available from Acronis to copy the entire SSD to a hard drive temporarily.

2. Go to Control Panel>File History>System Image Backup, and use that to create a system image on another hard drive.

While you probably won't have anything go wrong, there is the possibility and these options will save you as you can just restore to the drive then. The PC Perspective article I linked above updated 5 or 6 drives and 1 of them completely corrupted the MFT, which means that everything on the drive was essentially lost.

As for why the Samsung Magician software is reading that its at 6GB/s instead of the 10GB/s port it's plugged into is very simple. The 840 Evo line does not support SATA express, the fastest connection the drive itself is capable of making is 6GB/s.

doesnt show the C drive

25koqp5.png

damn gigabyte didnt tell that some SSDs dont support sata express >:(

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

doesnt show the C drive

Thats because it shouldn't, if you read a little more carefully, that dropdown is where it is backing up TO, not backing up from. If you select your D: drive, it will make a copy of your C: drive on your D: drive, in the form of a virtual hard disk image that you can restore using the windows 8.1 installation or repair disks.

Thats because it shouldn't, if you read a little more carefully, that dropdown is where it is backing up TO, not backing up from. If you select your D: drive, it will make a copy of your C: drive on your D: drive, in the form of a virtual hard disk image that you can restore using the windows 8.1 installation or repair disks.

ok did it, ill update it when im ready

one question for Magician: if in "OS optimization" shows "Deactivate" is it Activated or Deactivaded?

sequental read 535 mb/s out of max 410mb/s lol

the optimization helped , i think its kinda risky to download the new firmware if it can delete your ssd

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ok did it, ill update it when im ready

one question for Magician: if in "OS optimization" shows "Deactivate" is it Activated or Deactivaded?

sequental read 535 mb/s out of max 410mb/s lol

the optimization helped , i think its kinda risky to download the new firmware if it can delete your ssd

If it shows 'deactivate' then it is currently activated.

Also the sequential read and write speeds that samsung magician show won't tell you the whole story. This tests speeds by writing chunks of new data to the drive, and then reading that data to test speeds, so it always has freshly written data to test. The issue with the EVO's only affects old data, in most cases its seems to start really becoming noticeable after 3-4 weeks. For this you need a whole other kind of benchmark software to tell your true speeds. 

HD Tach is a benchmark that will give you a true view of your performance. This benchmark works by reading all data currently on the drive, so you can see the slow downs from you older data. However, from everything I have seen this effects ALL 840 evos.

If you have a proper backup, which you do now, there really isn't any risk. Let it run, if you have problems, which seems to be relatively unlikely, you throw in your windows 8 install disk (or usb drive), then follow the directions for restoring that you can find HERE. Once that is done all files will be identical to how they were, and you won't have performance issues anymore. Like I said, I highly doubt you will even need to use the backup, most are running fine, I know of about 30 or so separate drives that have ran this, and the only one I have heard a reported problem about was the PCPER drive. But all firmware updates are this risky, even when the firmware just comes through the samsung magician software, there is a chance that it can corrupt files on the SSD.

If it shows 'deactivate' then it is currently activated.

Also the sequential read and write speeds that samsung magician show won't tell you the whole story. This tests speeds by writing chunks of new data to the drive, and then reading that data to test speeds, so it always has freshly written data to test. The issue with the EVO's only affects old data, in most cases its seems to start really becoming noticeable after 3-4 weeks. For this you need a whole other kind of benchmark software to tell your true speeds. 

HD Tach is a benchmark that will give you a true view of your performance. This benchmark works by reading all data currently on the drive, so you can see the slow downs from you older data. However, from everything I have seen this effects ALL 840 evos.

If you have a proper backup, which you do now, there really isn't any risk. Let it run, if you have problems, which seems to be relatively unlikely, you throw in your windows 8 install disk (or usb drive), then follow the directions for restoring that you can find HERE. Once that is done all files will be identical to how they were, and you won't have performance issues anymore. Like I said, I highly doubt you will even need to use the backup, most are running fine, I know of about 30 or so separate drives that have ran this, and the only one I have heard a reported problem about was the PCPER drive. But all firmware updates are this risky, even when the firmware just comes through the samsung magician software, there is a chance that it can corrupt files on the SSD.

ok it just installed  , looks like it really loads up faster, :) nothing has gone wrong

so can i delete it now?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

After the tool runs you can uninstall it yes, in fact it shouldn't even let you run it again.

ok

do you may know how to silent a harddrive?

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If you don't have it on rubber grommets, of some sort try that. If your case has tool-less brackets you may want to see if you can use real screws instead of the tool-less pegs. I have seen a number of tool-less mounts that have quite a bit of wiggle room that allows vibrations.