Computer shuts down on games

N0zdormu

Hello, 

the problem that i am having is that when im playing games and put them on high graphics, the computer shuts off like 3-4min after starting the game.The problem has occured after i bought a new motherboard and new CPU.I've searched in the Net and i know its probably the PSU, but i've come with another question. My motherboard has 8-pin ATX 12V connector , but my PSU has 4pin on the motherboards manual it says that i can use the 4 pin connector on the 8pins motherboard.Ive connected them correctly, but im wondering could that be the problem for my shutdowns or its the PSU.

Theres my specs:

Motherboard: Asrock 980de3/u3s3

CPU:AMD FX 6300 X6 3.5Ghz

RAM: 8gb DDR3

GPU: nvidia GTS450 512mb gddr5

HDD: 250GB Seagate barracuda 7200rpm (its old)

PSU: 400W (it comes with the case and its not from some famous manufacturer,its the one with fan on the back, Its on 7years, no problems with it until now)

Looking for every suggestions, if you are gonna suggest buying a new PSU, dont reccomend me the famous manufacturers like Corsair or CM,they are too expensive in my country (Bulgaria).

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Its not overheating

Well, it happened to me (actually i was getting blue screen) and the problem was that the GPU wasn't correctly inserted at the PCI-E slot. I don't know if you are having the same problem, but i thought i might say it.

I have ran in to this before but it was due to an under-voltage on the CPU. The last one I did I was working with a 4670K,  trying to find a right balance of speed vs voltage.  When I would undervolt, it would lose it in the benchmarks and games with 1 - 5 minutes.  The more demanding the game was the quicker it would crash the game.

The manual for your motherboard might be correct that it is technically ok to use the 4 pin into an 8 pin but that doesn't mean it is fully optimized the power your CPU is requesting.  Also, power supplies degrade just like anything else and after seven years I think you certainly need to replace.

Good luck and I hope its an easy swap.

I never like cheap case PSUs. I'd upgrade that now even just to avoid getting a fire. But while you can use the 4pin with the 8pin. It won't give enough power to the CPU. I'd recommend Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, Silverstone and some other ones