Fraps

CallMeWicki

whenever I use fraps to monitor fps i fell like i am getting much less than i normally do, is that true and if so, are there other softwares that don't drop fps

Most games have an in-game counter that you can activate through console.

You can use MSI AfterBurner to monitor FPS too.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

If you use Fraps just to monitor FPS you shouldn't see a difference, but if you use it to record there would be a drop like you explained.

Unless you're benchmarking I wouldn't check FPS, if it isn't smooth enough for you then you'll be able to tell by eye.

"An Excellent Signature"

Most games have built in counter but if they don't fraps should make no difference unless you are recording. If you are not recording try putting the process to low priority with task manager.

When you calculate fps, it reduces gaming performance. That is why some games like StarCraft 2,only show it when you roll over over the "Menu" button and wait, the tool tip will show a snapshot of the fps (it won't continuously update it). So you'll get a better, more realistic value. And games that shows the fps, uses an average, and measure it at a time best ideal for the game, to give you a better value while not lowering your gaming experience. FRAPS uses DLL Injection method to measure and display the fps, so in other words, it great to get an idea.. but its not accurate as FRAPS lowers the fps as it continuously measure it, and force display itself on your screen.