Firewall Disabled or Enabled?

PugoOfficial

Is it OK for Windows Firewall to be ON always or OFF or ON for public and OFF for private or vice-versa any disadvantages I might get or Advantages?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz | COOLING: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VII Formula ATX | MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8) DDR3-1866 | STORAGE: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX860i 80+ Platinum | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780Ti DirectCU II (2-Way SLI) | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (Black) | DISPLAY: ASUS PB278Q 27.0" (2560 x 1440) | KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | SOUND: Logitech Z906 5.1 Speakers / Razer Kraken Chroma | OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

It dosen't hurt your computer unless it's getting  a virus/ddos attack. I keep it on becuse of the notifications Windows gives me. If you are gonna have a lan server with your friends you should keep it off, but I would suggest you to keep it on.

This Is A Signature

Personally, at home, I turn mine off because there's a firewall in my router and it's just one more moving piece to troubleshoot when dealing with things.

Professionally, we disable the Windows firewall on workstations with group policy and do not allow it to be enabled. On servers it's a case by case basis but standard procedure is to leave it on but flip Inbound from "Block (default)" to "Allow" on all three profiles (AD bound machines have a third "Domain" profile.) Again the main justification is that we have other better security in place and it's redundant and in the way.