iPhoto and Android - looking for solutions or alternatives

Hi all,

I've recently got my hands on an HTC One M8, making the switch to an Android phone from my iPhone 4S. I've got basically everything working as I want except photo syncing. I have a MacBook Pro which, for now at least, I use for all of my media storage because then I have access to all my media on the go as well as at home (otherwise I'd use my desktop, but that's a story for another time). As such I use iPhoto, a program I really like and would really like to keep using, however it doesn't play nice with anything non-apple or 'basic camera'. I didn't really expect there to be any "auto syncing" feature but I also thought this issue would be a lot easier to sort out than it has been.

What I'd like to do is to be able to keep using iPhoto, but be able to sync selected albums either directly with 128GB SD card in my phone over a local network. If that isn't an option (which appears to be the case), then I'd like to be able to sync with Google Drive - again, selectively. Selectively because my iPhoto library is close to 200GB (lots of GoPro footage there) and whilst it's all backed up on hard storage I don't want to upload it to the internet - mainly because that would be my household's monthly plan all gone in one hit! (Australia FTW) Of course that also won't fit on the SD card either. I suspect that I can compress the images and videos in my library but I'd like to avoid that because I just don't want all of the clutter on my phone anyway.

I know one option I do have is to copy the photos I do want to Google drive and transfer them manually through that. That's easier said than done, because I'm pretty close to my 500GB SSD's capacity and whilst I'm planning to do some major spring cleaning and filing of all that in my upcoming long summer holidays (between Year 12 and Uni) I'd prefer to have a solution that doesn't duplicate my photos on storage anyway...

I'd also prefer not to have to spend money, or at least not very much. I've seen some $40+ solutions but I've also heard people say that they don't really make things as easy as they sound like they will.

So, to summarise, I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to selectively sync photos on iPhoto with my HTC One M8, preferably over a local network but Google Drive is an option too. If that isn't really possible, then I'm open to suggestions of some sort of cross-platform photo management software (cross platform as in Windows, Mac, Android and maybe iOS if possible) with features similar to iPhoto that can all sync together, again preferably over a local network rather than using up all my metered internet...

Thanks in advance.

Bittorent sync?

From what I can work out this needs me to sync whole folders, which doesn't really work without duplicating the stuff I want to transfer in a separate folder - which I want to avoid doing due to lack of space on laptop. Any other suggestions?

Oh and also to anyone with an M8 - is HTC's sync manager better on windows for this kind of stuff?

I may switch my library after all if I have to...

Hmm sounds interesting. What if I want to keep the photos private on Flickr? Is that going to make things difficult with IFTTT?